Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggsitter is hooked; Intro & Pictures

Options
Well, long story short I am holding/storing an LBGE for a friend as they are downsizing to a small condo for a few years.I decided to try her out, and there is absolutely no chance they are getting this back. Or more realistically, I will need to buy one the second before the owner takes it back.

I'm officially hooked. 

In my very short time of ownership I have made excellent cedar planked salmon, ABTs, veggies, and took a shot at BBs last weekend. Sunday I did low n slow 3/1/1 baby back ribs, sipped some IPAs, and read this forum all day. A lot of great information on here. I'm not sure how much I'll be able to contribute as I'm still learning but I look forward to being active on the forums.

LBGE:

Cedar Planked Salmon:

Black Bean Tacos and Wok Veggies:

BB Ribs 3/1/1:
Removed membrane, rubbed with yellow mustard, used homemade rub, chilled overnight, 3hrs indirect with hickory, 1hr wrapped in foil with apple juice, 1 hr direct all at 240 degrees.

Any advice and input is appreciated. On my to-buy list are a thermapen and pizza stone. 

------------
Beers & BBQ

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Get the Thermapen ordered today. (IMO) the most importment opt.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    Looks great! Even better, offer to buy it from them now since they're not using it at the moment. They can always buy new ones a few years later down the road. Besides, you might get a good deal from it ;)

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• WalrusBBQ
    WalrusBBQ Posts: 153
    Options
    Thermapen ordered.
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Looks great @WalrusBBQ. If it's a really good friend offer to buy it now, otherwise, let it depreciate a few more years and buy it then.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    WalrusBBQ said:
    Thermapen ordered.
    You're going to have some great cooks soon with this kind of enthusiasm! 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options
    Tell them you will buy them a new mini for their condo in exchange for them letting you keep the large. 
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    That might be a good or bad deal depending on how old the LBGE is.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Great cooks so far!  I will have to remember never trust any of my friends to egg-sit for me.  I want it back!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• chris123stock
    Options
    Cool, egg sitting, that could be a good business. Nice cooks.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    Well played to sit the BGE.  Once you have partaken of the Kool-Aid it's all "downhill".  Welcome.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

Wait just a second here! Where did you get that granite? Looks identical to mine and I paid a huge premium cause the guy told me it was unique. He said it was hauled down from the Himalayas on yak back.

photo 6f475071-16e1-4bfb-ab69-663091cb045d.jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• WalrusBBQ
    Options

Wait just a second here! Where did you get that granite? Looks identical to mine and I paid a huge premium cause the guy told me it was unique. He said it was hauled down from the Himalayas on yak back.

You have good taste sir! Also a delicious looking dish
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

• SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    @WalrusBBQ: where are you located?  My deck and granite look eerily similar to yours.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    Options
    @WalrusBBQ: where are you located?  My deck and granite look eerily similar to yours.
    maybe he borrowed your deck
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    WalrusBBQ said:

You have good taste sir! Also a delicious looking dish
    It's actually a running joke around here. A lot of us have very similar granite. VI for one and Zippylip.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• WalrusBBQ
    Options
    South Carolina outside of Charlotte
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

• SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    @brycos: maybe he's living in the basement.  I don't go down there much.

• SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    @WalrusBBQ:  definitely not same contractors, then.  I'm in Fairfax County outside DC.

• CharlieTN
    CharlieTN Posts: 177
    Options
    I perceive a legal custody battle over the BGE.  They're awesome and worth every penny of legal fees.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    CharlieTN said:
    I perceive a legal custody battle over the BGE.  They're awesome and worth every penny of legal fees.
    Could make a good Judge Judy episode.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    CharlieTN said:
    Could make a good Judge Judy episode.
    He could argue that his friend must relinquish the Egg because of the quality of food he has become accustomed to.  If it became a big enough issue, might even inspire a Law & Order episode.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    WalrusBBQ said:

South Carolina outside of Charlotte

Several from SC on here. I'm in Columbia.
    Boom
  • WalrusBBQ
    Options
    Is the adjustable rig worth it? 

I could really see value in making apps (ABTs or the like) while cooking low-n-slow ribs or pork butt.

Outside of that, I'm not sure how much use it would have and if all i really need may be a grill extender?

Thanks for your help
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Judging by the few cooks you posted, you'll contribute just fine!  

Nice work!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited June 2013
    Options
    It's actually a running joke around here. A lot of us have very similar granite. VI for one and Zippylip.
    I don't like to brag, but mine was taken out of an old Bavarian castle shortly after the war (The Great War).  It is said that Louise of Mechlenburg-Strelitz (Wilhelm's mother) had her servants prepare young Kaiser Wilhelm's meals on my granite counter.

That's what the salesman at Cut Rate Granites and Linoleums, Inc. told me.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• WalrusBBQ
    Options
    Y'all are lucky finding your granite so easily. I could write a book on where mine came from.
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    WalrusBBQ said:
    Well, long story short I am holding/storing an LBGE for a friend as they are downsizing to a small condo for a few years.I decided to try her out, and there is absolutely no chance they are getting this back. Or more realistically, I will need to buy one the second before the owner takes it back.
    That's how I got mine.  I never would have laid out the cash for one before having cooked on one for a while, but having used it for a few years, I was not willing to part with it.  When the time came, I bought one to make up for the "borrowed" one.  The only trouble with doing it that way is warranty coverage could be questionable.