Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Time for me to quit lurking, my first post and first extended cook!

Options
h3bmr
h3bmr Posts: 16

So let me start with a big ole Texas panhandle "Howdy".  I got my first egg last October and have done several cooks on it.  Tons of ribs, chicken, pizza, burgers etc.  Well about a week ago we had a storm in our area that knocked the electricity out over night, and unbeknownst to me it also tripped the breaker in my garage where the deep freezer is (yikes all my meat!).  Good news is it was just a breaker and all the meat was still frozen when we found it.  However, my wife did leave the brisket out and told me I was cooking it this weekend.  So here we go for my first extended cook on the EGG.  <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

1 side note my family usually buys a show steer every year, then we get it processed and split the meat, so this was my year to get the brisket.  That being said these steers are feed differently then the meat you and I typically get from the grocery store, thus typically being tougher meat. 

Now back to what we all came here for.  Below are my cook notes, marinade and rub are the day before.

Marinade @ 2 pm

Soy sauce

Pineapple juice

Tenderizer

Rub @ 10 pm

1 cup brown sugar

2 table spoons garlic powder

2 table spoons tender quick

Crushed black pepper

Crushed salt

Put brisket on @ 7 am dome temp 250 degrees

Took off smoker at 4:30 internal temp 195,  wrapped in foil , covered with a towel, and put in cooler to rest until 6:00 pm

I thought it was strange for my wife to tell me I could smoke meat and drink all day, and just to prove me right she also had plans for me to build a fence for her garden to keep our "very curious" 3 year old from pulling any more plants.  So I’ve also included a picture of the fence progress.

My family came to enjoy the finished product and several people stated "this is one of the best briskets ever!"  makes a cook feel good.

Sorry I failed to get a pre cook picture.  last note the brisket was about 10 ten pounds, and was not very well trimmed, so i did do a fair amount of trimming before marinating. 

Comments