Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Three tier swing grate (added a pic)

Options
smokeyj
smokeyj Posts: 340
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
Any one here about or see the three tier swing grate from CGW? I just saw it on cgw Facebook page.  Looks real nice. I have a large. I sent him a message to see if it's just for the xl or the large also.

Comments

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Holy crap!
    Mark Annville, PA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That's pretty sweet. How much is it?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Great. Just bought the original swing rack.
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    Options
    image For those that already have our 2 tier, we are working on a method that will allow you to add or change your setup simply by adding an additional rack. Details will be on our web site. The pic above is an xl with a 24", 22" and 18" upper. This pic of a large has 2 18" with a 15" upper.
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Pretty sweet!!! I'm still trying to figure out my AR and now seeing this!  Definitely simpler. But looks a little less versatile too.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • BrotherEgg
    BrotherEgg Posts: 95
    Options
    Franco,
    I can't find these on the CGW website. Can you direct me to it. I'm interested in the two tier.
    Thanks

Steve

_______________________________________________________________________________
    Large BGE, PSWoo3, 13"CI grid, Grid Extender, Weber Genesis B Gasser/BGE Storage Cabinet
  • CGW1
    Options
    @brotheregg, once your at our site, enter the webstore it's the first product listed, or simply call me and I'll walk you along.

@thatgrimguy, not sure how you mean by less versatile?? I don't want to get into a discussion about here as it'll appear I'm selling, so either call me directly, email me or jump on our forum.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    I don't see less versatile.

The AR an the Swing rack are totally different beast. Both doing some different things.

XLBGE 
  • CGW1
    Options
    Well put MCN.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I didn't mean to downplay what is obviously a very well made tool.   I apologize.  
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    @CGW1 When will this be out and what's the spacing beteeen the grids .more importantly you need a tester lol :bz
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • CGW1
    Options
    @thatgrimguy....I didn't mean to imply you down played it, apology not needed.
    :-bd

@bigphil, spacing is adjustable depending on what your needs are. Sadly, we'll have to keep the testing in house for now.....but thanks for offering.
    =D>
  • bigphil
    edited June 2013
    Options
    @CGW1 what is the maxium height between the grids and if that's how its gotta be i cry foul lol .just kidding btw
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • CGW1
    Options
    That will all be based on the new shaft for this system.  Max height has not yet been determined. The pic posted above is showing about 4-5" between the grates, this is in prototype form for now.
  • bigphil
    Options
    @CGW1 thanks
  • smokeyj
    Options
    I thought maybe it was just for the XL. So you may introduce one for the large down the road?
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    Options
    This maybe a crazy observation, but wouldn't two of the grate extender's (group buy) do the exact same thing?
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    Looks like the CGW has the same main pivot point (top to bottom). The design of the group buy extender would not allow you to connect top to middle and middle to bottom in exactly the same place. Whether that's important, I can't say but balance could be a real issue with the group buy extender trying to triple deck it.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options

This maybe a crazy observation, but wouldn't two of the grate extender's (group buy) do the exact same thing?

With a little work, yes, but may not be quiet as sturdy as one long shaft.

XLBGE 
  • smokeyj
    Options

Also depends what you want. I already have a two tier. I would rather just add to it. Also, this is just my opinion but if your looking for a cast iron grate you may as well spend the extra money and get the swing grate. Then your getting two solid grates that cook like cast iron grate.

All what you want and want to spend.

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    smokeyj said:

Also depends what you want. I already have a two tier. I would rather just add to it. Also, this is just my opinion but if your looking for a cast iron grate you may as well spend the extra money and get the swing grate. Then your getting two solid grates that cook like cast iron grate.

All what you want and want to spend.

@smokeyj......exactly my thought process when I decided on the CGW swing grate.  I wanted a two-tier that expanded cooking space and was well built and easy to use and maneuver mid cook and also something I could sear on.

I'll really consider getting the third tier when it becomes available.  Just have to determine if I really need the extra grid space.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer