Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

cracked egg

Found a crack in the bottom of my 10 year old large egg. The warranty has it covered and a new one is ordered.  I was wondering how long I could keep using the cracked bottom before replacing it with the new one, even thought about trying to maybe getting other parts needed and create another egg. Has anyone any thoughts or idea's?

·

Comments

• TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    How big is the crack? Picture?
  • maddaugmaddaug Posts: 56
     Its hairline, but it goes through to the outer shell as well. Im still using the original firebox that cracked in the 1st 2 years and its held up.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,197
    It'll probably last forever if you stuck with low-n-slows.  But I don't want to be the guy responsible for burning down your deck so if you do keep using it, just make sure if that crack opens up you have some kind of containment. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

·
    I'm thinking low-n-slow also, As long as I treat it like an egg, it should last.I'm gonna order another dome and start to work on my 2nd Egg! 
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,320
    I'm not going to encourage you at all here but I found a huge crack in one of mine that was way worse. Wanna sell it?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    I will keep this and use it for a 2nd Egg someday soon. Thought about placing it in a nest to maybe hold it together. What did you do with yours?
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,320
    I gave it to a friend. He was going to do some work on my table in exchange. Didn't do the work.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,647
    edited June 2013
    Mini going close to 6 months crack from basetop all the way to bottom.
    High heat and low and slows done. Thinking it can last forever.

The thought did cross my mind to order ( dome, bands, fire ring, box) then I have another egg but not sure I will.
    Seattle, WA
    ·