Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The cook that keeps on giving

Did two @7 lb pork butts Saturday night. Rubbed, wrapped and put in the refrigerator on Saturday morning. Played a round of golf with my wife on Saturday afternoon then, put them on around midnight, indirect, dome temp around 270-280. Took both off around 1pm on Sunday at an IT of around 195. FTC until ready to pull at 5:30... IT of butts was still around 160. Served with some Carolina-style BBQ sauce, cole slaw, beans and a mango salsa.

One of the great thing about pulled pork is all the things that you can do with the leftovers. I've got some in my lunch today and plan to use some to make tamales tonight (which I will freeze for later consumption). There will most likely be pulled pork pizza on the menu one night later this week. The rest in packed away and in the freezer.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    You are so right on the gift that keeps on giving.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I love some leftover pork.  I made a dutch oven full of Brunswick stew a few weeks ago and froze portions.  I just finished the last of it on Friday. 

Last night we did a really easy but great meal.  Basically a BBQ patty melt.  Pork, sauteed onions, and cheese (I used Havarti) griddled on buttered sourdough. It really hit the spot. 

I have one more big portion of pork that I am gonna take over to my bro-in-law who's wife just had twins.  It should make for a nice easy meal for them.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Pulled pork leftovers are the best. Its like duct tape - you can put it on anything.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited June 2013
    Great cook John! I love mango salsa too. We love having pulled pork in anything. Especially in the freezer! Pulled pork duct tape. Now we're getting somewhere!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Oh I thought you were talking about the Jerk Chicken and rice and peas I made the other day with the scotch bonnets. Different kind of giving :((

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    @Little_Steven... we chop up a scotch bonnet and add it to the salsa. Used two one time (with 3 mangoes) but found that that was a little too much!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    @SaturdayFatterday... tacos sound good. I was thinking about trying some pulled pork fajitas.
    edited June 2013
    I had a party this weekend and I ended up cooking 6 7-8 pound butts. Only went through 2 butts at the party :-D And I'm eating some right now for lunch.
    Dunedin, FL