Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grillin Bill's tri-tip still a winner

Options
KennyG
KennyG Posts: 949
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
With the wife out of town this weekend visiting her brother and nothing but time on my hands, I decided to fire up the eggs and host an informal open house to show off the cooking toys all set up on the new pad.[p]Simply told the fat boys and the rest of the gang to stop in at any time for a cold one and a taste of whatever is cooking. 15 or 18 folks rolled through over the course of the weekend. We went through some brats, pizza, a couple racks of baby backs and 2 NY strip steaks that I cut up into "samples" after cooking. Humpty and Junior received many accolades for their fine work.[p]Just when I thought the day was over, I got a call from our own RhumAndJerk. He had spent the afternoon at Jacob's field enjoying a rare (for this year) Indians victory. I told him to come on down as I still had the Grillin Bill's signature tri tip to serve which I started prepping almost 2 days earlier. The roast spent 24 hours in the marinade and almost another 24 hours in the rub and mustard. This is a great recipe and well worth your consideration. A little advance preparation is required but well worth the effort. It was soooooo good that Mike and I almost ate the whole thing ourselves while we stood around BSing.[p]K~G
Many thanks to our rookie of the year Grillin Bill!

[ul][li]Grillin Bill's tri-tip[/ul]

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    KennyG, Hey..that was a dinner to envy..I do that!! Now tell em what ya told me e.mail..More scrumptious brats coming up folks..This KG guy can cook!!
    Char-Woody...A great 4th of July to ya all.....[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    KennyG, newbie speaking here, but pray tell, what is a Tri-Tip? I see it's listed under beef, but otherwise I'm clueless! Thanks! ^oo^~

• KennyG
    Options
    one feral kat,[p]It's the triangular tip of the sirloin that was once simply discarded or cut up into stew meat. A creative butcher out in California started seasoning them with a simple combination of salt, pepper and garlic powder and grilling them over live red oak coals. This concoction has since become know as Santa Maria BBQ. This cut is very popular on the West Coast, but hard to come by in my neck of the woods. You gotta try it at least once.[p]K~G

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    KennyG,
    I was lucky enough to prepare Grillin Bill's Tri-Tip at the eggfest! Well, BDavidson ended up with the cooking honors, but I got to spend a couple of days with those two purty tri-tips! And definitely got a few tastes. GB is quite a cook.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    KennyG,
    WOW. I knew about this info, but could have never said it, and would have never attempted it for fear of getting into a long post. With 5 short sentences, you about wrapped it up. Nice post![p]The only thing I can add is that the tri-tip is not the most tender of all cuts, but has a very distinct "beef" flavor. Cut thin against the grain it is heavenly.[p]Thanks for that great post.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • KennyG
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Thanx for the roses, in my time, I've been called many things but never someone short on words hehehe
    The tri tip was great and I look forward to hooking up with Grillin Bill again at Eggfest. I sure hope yoo plan to be there Ya rascal, looking forward to meeting you and the Mrs.
    After a recent restaurant experience, I've got the good Lady Carol hooked on squid and you da man!!

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Squid is good. Can't wait to try yours.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    JJ,
    I can't wait to serve it up!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    KennyG,
    Thanks. The missuz will not be at the eggfest, but I plan on attending. Maybe with 5 year old twin girls. Maybe solo.[p]I will be using a bunch of points on my 16 day, guys backpacking trip to Idaho in August. But my 40th Bday is at the end of Rocktober, so maybe I can talk her into letting me go solo (as a birthday present. hee) Really looking forward to meeting you and Carol, and the many folks I who didn't make it to Eggfest 2000.[p]May the tenticles be with you.
    Squid Boy

DizzyPigBBQ.com