Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

'Loos

Been reading the gummy St. Louis rib thread. Got a Costco pack of St. Loo's rubbed and marinating in the 'fridge. Planning to put 'em on the Egg around noon or so. 

In the past I've liked to cook them 'turbo' at 300 direct until they reach 205-210F IT. They're done in about an hour and change and everyone loves them. Not a lot of bother, obviously. 

Watched a handful of BBQ shows the past week. The 'masters' do 'Loos different ways but none do turbo. They're normally shooting for some particular style sweet spot. Styles were 'Georgia' and 'Memphis'. Judges were Tuffy Stone, Myron Mixon, and Aaron Franklin, kind of the trinity of BBQ gurus.

Most cooks were done between 225 and 275F grate temp. Nobody used an Egg for ribs, some did for butts, though. Various rubs, ranging from S&P + sauce to home made to their own brand. Some guys foiled, some didn't. Some mopped, some didn't, depending on the style called out. I think all spritzed with apple juice/cider/water and don't recall anyone using hickory, instead using peach or apple, or cherry for color.

A lot depends on the style desired. From there it's about how to keep them 'moist' while you get them tender. Today we will try 'comp style' using tips from the gummy 'Loo thread and the TV and see how they compare to turbo. Will they be worth the hassle over turbo? Are competition style ribs enjoyable for the average backyard BBQer ? We'll see shortly .....  

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited June 2013
    Ribs in the Egg at lo-n-slo temps usually do not need much spritzing for moistness. One of the Egg's advantages. I peek around 4 hours just to be sure nothing is drying out, but rarely find that to be the case. I've started using a 2nd rub in the last hour. I take a little nibble, to see what flavor might benefit from a boost.I brush on a very light coat of oil, and then sprinkle on more sugar, black pepper, paprika, garlic, etc. And any other flavor I might like that will go with the sides. I prefer ribs "dry," with sauce on the side, and the 2nd dusting is my version of a finish coat.

I've tried higher and faster cooks. The results have been OK. But I find a long afternoon sniffing the aroma coming from the Egg to be very relaxing. And, IMO, the flavor is a little better.  I like smoke. Prefer oak, followed by hickory. But, I'm not competing w anybody except myself, and not doing any particular style.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    So you don't foil -- just slow cook right thru the entire cook?
  • gdenby
    Who, Me? Nope. Did that early on. That guarantees moist and tender, but ruined the slightly crispy outside I prefer. W/o foil, the ribs take a bit longer to finish. For me, lazy is better. No mess w. pouring fluids, foiling, unfoiling, re-crisping. Just plop 'em on, touch up at the end.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited June 2013
    I agree with @gdenby, I go 225-250 grid indirect with the smoke wood of the week (meaning whatever comes out of the box - but usually apple or hickory).
    SWMBO likes sauce so one rack is dry the other is sauced for last half hour. Time varies as Costco BBs usually take about an hour longer than BB from my butcher, his are trimmed a bit more. I've found if the ribs are very thin (all bone not much meat) foiling works else they will dry before they cook. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    The 'Loos out of the starting gate around 12:30 today. Using pecan for smoke and going with 250F grid temp indirect on AR.
  • SteveWPBFL
    Well, it's dinner time, family is orbiting the Egg. Let's check, we're at the five hour mark. Well they look pretty good!
  • SteveWPBFL
    They're headed to the table, here's a bend test bedore they go.
  • SteveWPBFL
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I don't think rub, smoke, and time can be beat.  Nothing wrong with turning up the heat some, but I prefer no foil.

look amazing!

XLBGE 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Look fantastic. I am definitely in the no foil camp. I need the AR to come back in stock ASAP. Been waiting a while
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SteveWPBFL
    One rack was meatier than the other, they were sublime. The others were pretty good, just not as meaty. Left the membrane on, ate around it with no problem, think it helped keep them moist, they were juicy. No foil. . I'd do these like this again. My personal best so far!
  • gdenby
    Good attempt, they look pretty good. Hope you had moments of feeding frenzy.

I let them get a little floppier. I would have tried to restrain the family, and let 'em go another 1/2 hour and/or boost the temp right at the end.