Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Plateau or Stall in low and slow cooking

Options

Here is an interesting article.

http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/the_stall.html

It debunks "collagen breakdown" as the reason for the plateau. He offers a way to speed through it with no negative consequences. I haven't tried it yet.

But I never cared about the reason for the plateau.  I still think waiting through a plateau is good so that more fat will be rendered out of the meat. I think the longer it takes, the less fat there will be.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Regardless of science, the best reason to let the "stall/plateau" occur is more time for those adult  supervisory beverages.  That's how I assess it....
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Joder
    Joder Posts: 57
    Options

I just finished a 21 hr. 10.5 lb brisket cooked at 220. The fat cap was almost completly gone when it reached 185, but it was till bubbling and basting the brisket. It was the best ever.

Low and slow

is the way to go

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    That is the main advantage of turbo cooking butts, it sails right thru the stall  -- rate of temperature change remains near constant.
  • TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    Options
    I did a low and slow butt this weekend, and it stalled twice.  The first stall was at about 160, the second at 182.  I haven't had that happen before.  Grate temp was 250 for the majority of the cook.  It came out a little more dry than my typical results.  

Coincidence or is there a relationship there?
    Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio