Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fall off the bone baby back ribs (attempt #4)

paqman
paqman Posts: 4,660
I somewhat had success on attempt #3

Planning to go 3.5-1.5-0.5

While shopping for the rub exchange yesterday I purchased local stuff for my elf but I also found some not so local stuff for me. I got myself some Bone Suckin Sauce (never tried before) and rub.  Also found some Maker's Mark sauce.  Which one should I use tonight?

Ribs were rubbed with my new Bone Suckin Rub.

Comments

• Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Two racks of ribs, two sauces, sounds like a good time for a side by side comparison
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I volunteer for tasting and QI. :)

What did you not like about your last attempt? I personally don't like foiling ribs, mainly because I could never get it right. I rub em, put em on, and let em ride nekkid.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    caliking said:
    I volunteer for tasting and QI. :) What did you not like about your last attempt? I personally don't like foiling ribs, mainly because I could never get it right. I rub em, put em on, and let em ride nekkid.
    I agree, indirect no foil is my favorite. SWMBO likes fall off the bone wet ribs, Yuck. I always foiled because she is SWMBO. For the past year or so we do mix it up a bit more, if the ribs are less meaty, I foil to avoid an overcook, if Costco 1"-1 1/2" thick racks, they get the non-foil treatment and I sauce hers, she is happy and that's all that counts. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    @paqman-if you want "fall off the bone" then foil is how you get there.  I'm no eggspert on foil time as I don't use it unless SWMBO has a different plan (not unusual) but if I do then I run about an hour in the foil, with some diluted Q sauce in the pouch.  I hold the sauce and let the consumer select but Bone Suckin is quite good.  Gonna tasie great.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    This is funny I am doing ribs today and SWMBO wants foiled wet fall off the bone, and I want competition style tasty goodness. Lucky I got 4 racks of ribs and she gets hers and I get mine.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    I've used the Bone Suckin' Rub and thought it was a little too subtle for my taste (this was on a shoulder). Nice flavor, but I applied my usual moderately heavy amount and it seems like it needed to be really caked on (for that cut anyway, may work better on ribs...) 

I also just bought the Bone Suckin' Hot for the first time, but I tried the Blues Hog first and may never open the BSH now (haha). That Blues Hog stuff is dynamite!

Good luck, let us know how it goes. 

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • paqman
    We prefer fall off the bone so I will foil for 1.5 hours. I like the idea of trying both sauces but we are limited in fridge real estate so we have to pick just one.So far it looks like it will be bone suckin sauce.

You own an Egg and are boiling ribs!!! I am aghast. :(
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • paqman
    jfarley said:
    You own an Egg and are boiling ribs!!! I am aghast. :(
    LOL I know it will sound like blasphemy but so far I have been having better results starting them in the oven and then finish on the egg.  My last attempt was not so bad...  In fact they were excellent but still not as good as when started in the oven.  Ribs are the only thing I did not have the results I was looking for on the egg.

On the egg

I have some ribs on right now.  I do a high maintenance version of the X - X - X.  Mustard, rub and then let them sit overnight in the fridge.  I cook them for 5.5 hours at 250 and the high maintenance part is I spritz(apple juice & apple cider vinegar) them every 50 minutes until the last 30 minutes and that is when I sauce them (usually twice).  Fall off the bone every time and the bark is good b/c of all the sugars in the spritz.   I'll get some pictures today
  • CharlieTN
    CharlieTN Posts: 177

Looks good to me.  I personally like the bone sucking sauce but I'm not a fan of any sort of seasoning that is too strong, and especially don't like very hot seasonings.  I like the taste of meat so I want to enhance it, not overpower it.  Just my personal preference.  I also look for seasonings with no MSG since they make my wife's joints hurt.

Haven't tried ribs yet but they're on my short list.  Maybe on Father's day if we can have a weekend without it coming a monsoon.

• paqman
    @Luke_dogs Side or back ribs?

Basted with bone suckin sauce, drizled with cider vinegar and honey then foiled.

1 hour @ 300F

Removed from the foil pan,  added more sauce and then back on the egg for 30 minutes @ 300F

those look amazing man!!! I'm drooling.

How did your test go? Fall off the bone? 

XLBGE 
  • paqman
    edited June 2013
    Yes, they were great.  The bone suckin sauce is good but it is lacking a little something.  Next time I will try the "hot" one.  I personally enjoy some more heat but the ladies loved them as they were.  The rub is really good. Ended up doing 3.5-1-0.5

I love the Bone Suckin Hot sauce - its one of SWMBO's favs. 

Did you start in the oven then move to the egg? I don't know if I already mentioned this, but for BB's some folks go 3-1-0.5 (depending on your temp of course). There are many permutations of that formula.

If you start indirect raised on the egg from the start, would there be that much difference vs. staring in the oven? Just thinking that it would make your cook easier if you did it all on the egg.

However, if you got the results you wanted, then keep doing what you're doing, and send some over here next time! :)

• paqman
    They were done on the egg raised indirect

When I start them in the oven,  I foil them right from the start @ 300F for 3 hours then finish on the egg for 15-20 minutes just to caramelize the sauce.  I guess I could do it all on the egg but it would be pointless.

I like the taste of the smoke from the egg but prefer the texture when started in the foil.

edited June 2013

There was a thread a few years back about guys pressure cooking ribs for like a half an hour and then grilling. People that tried it raved.

Edit: That was not in jest.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• paqman

There was a thread a few years back about guys pressure cooking ribs for like a half an hour and then grilling. People that tried it raved.

I am not there yet...  I have tried sous-vide; it is nice to have the ribs cooked medium and still pink and  falling off the bone but the texture is grainy...  The problem I have with the egg is that the ends of the rihs are ending up dry.  I am not giving up, next time I will try to spray some apple juice during the cook.

@paqman: would foiling the ends help? If you're using a platesetter, I can see how the ends of the rack would be more direct than indirect.

@LS: pressure cooking is a good way to cook meat fast. Works well for stews, curries, and braised meats as long as you don't add too much water. 30 mins seems like a long time for pressure cooking, but its an interesting idea.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    caliking said:
    @paqman: would foiling the ends help? If you're using a platesetter, I can see how the ends of the rack would be more direct than indirect. @LS: pressure cooking is a good way to cook meat fast. Works well for stews, curries, and braised meats as long as you don't add too much water. 30 mins seems like a long time for pressure cooking, but its an interesting idea.
    I don't remember the exact times. I do a lot of pressure cooking for Indian stuff. I seem to remember a bit of chicken stock in the cooker.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• paqman
    I honestly don't want to go the pressure cooker route.  Nothing against it, it's just that foiling works well and I want to have as little stuff to clean as possible after the cook.  I am not giving up on the egg, I just haven't found the "perfect" method yet.  I found the perfect pizza crust recipe on this forum; I'm sure I'll find the perfect ribs recipe as well.

paqman said:

I am not there yet...  I have tried sous-vide; it is nice to have the ribs cooked medium and still pink and  falling off the bone but the texture is grainy...  The problem I have with the egg is that the ends of the rihs are ending up dry.  I am not giving up, next time I will try to spray some apple juice during the cook.
    @pagman you just need to move the around on the BGE and don't let the same end be exposed to the direct heat all the time.  Also, I always just treat myself to that little end when it starts to get done.  Win/win
  • paqman
    Good suggestion but I also have the problem when racks are cut in half so the problem cannot only be direct exposure.  Someone at the office mentioned that 300F was maybe too hot.  I am also thinking that a water pan could help.

paqman said:
    Good suggestion but I also have the problem when racks are cut in half so the problem cannot only be direct exposure.  Someone at the office mentioned that 300F was maybe too hot.  I am also thinking that a water pan could help.

Could be.....I bet I've done a dozen rib cooks, usually 2-2-1, although some 2-1-2 and a couple five hours straight with no foiling at all and just sauced the last hour or so, but all at 225-240.  All turned out falling off the bone tender.  And FWIW, I've never used a water/drip pan.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Baby backs done 3-2-1 are always a success for me.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • I'm new to this forum. Have done a lot of BBQ and Smoking in the past but----WITH are the numbers all about??? 3 -1.5-.5?? Help me out in my ignorance please