Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Anyone using the half stone to create an indirect zone?

CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 1,109
I like the idea of using the half stone to create an indirect zone, I'm curious if anyone has one and what your opinion is.  
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• CharlieTNCharlieTN Posts: 177
    Haven't picked one up yet but I can see it being useful, especially with the Grill Extender.
  • ThatgrimguyThatgrimguy Posts: 1,440
    I have one. Haven't used it yet. I'm thinking it will be great for doing steaks or anything with a reverse sear.
    Biloxi, MS
    XL / Small

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt
  • JebpotJebpot Posts: 347
    I liked it u can still cook direct one side and indirect for breads and such. I did burrito on stone.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• Haven't used the half stone, but I did use the half-moon grid and pan to the same effect (meat skewers direct; veggie skewers on the half-moon).  Worked pretty darn well.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • EggRacerEggRacer Posts: 400
    I've used the half stone in my XL to cook sweet potatoes indirect and then cook either a  steak or some pork direct just about the time the potatoes are finished. It worked great (or grate) as I was able to do the complete cook without having to pull or move anything out of a hot egg. Best of both worlds.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • Jwright11Jwright11 Posts: 35
    I love mine. Use it all the time. I put the half moon raised grid Otis of the stone and use it to reverse sear mostly. Also put potatoes on the stone under the rack.
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,024
    I use it sometimes. It works well.
    Mark Annville, PA