Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

A little help needed

First off I want to say this forum is awesome.  I got my "first" egg last thursday and I love it.  I have a boneless chuck roast in the fridge and am looking for ideas.  My butcher said he doesnt like them on the grill.  Is this because it doesn't get tender and doesn't have a lot of flavor?  It has a ton of marbling.  Any help would be appreciated.   

Thanks,  Kid

·

Comments

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,285
    If you do it low and slow til it's about 160* it will be tender. Best bet is to make pulled beef with it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Hap's method is a killer !!!
    ·
  • EggucatorEggucator Posts: 184
    I have huge success with the pepper ale beef. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1151803/chuckies-2-ways-pics#latest ;
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,170
    Do this (includes pics)... http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1210326&catid=1

You won't regret it! Great as a taco or burrito filling. Great on a burger bun as a beef bbq sandwich (like pulled pork except it's beef). Great straight out of the pot for that matter!! Truly awesome stuff!

Or, if you want ordinary, just do a pot roast.
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,484
    Depending on what you are looking for as the end result, Hap's peppered beef is outstanding along with Griffins recipe above. As a third option I like to make tacos with the chuckie. I will do a heavy coat of fajita seasoning and cook indirect at about 250 until an IT of 160 then wrap in foil until it will pull which is usually between 205 & 220. This makes a great taco. image
    image.jpg 387.8K

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,772
    Any of the above should be great...

Oh, by the way, your butcher's a dope.
    ·
  • kidcowboykidcowboy Posts: 11

Well here's what I did.  I coated with Butt Rub and seared it at 580 for 3 minutes per side.  It's on now at 290.  I'm gonna take it to 160 and foil it.  back on til 200.  See what happens.  I think I will take your idea Mattman and make tacos with some of it.  I'm going to use the rest for sandwiches.  It is already looking awesome.  I'm documenting and will put pics on when it's done

Thanks,  Kid

·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,484
    Can't wait to see the final outcome

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • Mama RoneckMama Roneck Posts: 356
    hapster said:

Any of the above should be great...

Oh, by the way, your butcher's a dope.

Very true! Low and slow to 210 using any of the techniques and seasonings mentioned above. Then carefully measure a 6 oz. portion, foil it, then zip lock baggie, then bring to your butcher and say "THIS is how we do chuck on the BBQ."
    Mamaroneck
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    That would only increase the price of chuck roasts!! :((
    ·

Mama I took your advice.  I sent over a piece to my father-in-law.  The other day he asked my why I bought an egg when I could just buy an electric smoker?  Just set the time and temp and you're set.  My response was "does your little digital readout tell you when to add the love too?"  And you guys were right my butcher is out of his mind.  This turned out to be some of the best BBQ I've ever had.  Tender, moist, FLAVOR.  As the kids say OMG.  And I will get pics up as soon as I get them off my phone.  Thanks for all the help eggheads!!!  Can't wait for the next cook!!!

Kid

·

Here are the pics:

First is siting out room temp with Butt Rub

imageimageimageimage
    ·
    sorry guys I don't know how to delete an image.  The final "3" are the finished product.  I'm going to try and post the cut piecesimageSorry about the meesed up picsimage
    ·