Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Even cook temps for spatchcocked chicken with plate setter -- HOW?

Options
Hey there, was wondering if people could offer some tips on how to acheive an even cook temperature when indirect cooking a spatchcock chicken.

The last time I did it, I tried out my new Thermapen and discovered some  uneven temperatures in the breast.  basically, I'm having trouble getting the breast near the center of the chicken up to 165 before the outer parts of the breast get as high as 185+.  The dark meet will get up to 185 long before the breast is ready, although the dark meat still turned out great at a higher than desired temp of 200+.

I'm using a grill temp of 350 using my Maverick.  When I started, I placed the chicken on the grill such that the legs are nearer the back.  I have read that the back of the egg gets hotter and thought it made sense to keep the breasts away from that area.  Turns out that I needed to rotate the chicken so that the breasts were in the back about an hour in.  Then another 20 minutes later (I think) -- I decided to flip the chicken over and try to get the breasts hot because the parts of the breast near the neck were already getting too hot, while the inner parts near the thighs were not even 150 yet.

This time I'm thinking of keeping the breasts in the center of the grill with the legs towards the front of the grill for an hour, and then I'll rotate 180 degrees.  But I'm open to any suggestions.

Comments

• grok
    grok Posts: 32
    Options
    BTW, I place the maverick grill probe towards the front of the egg above one of the three points of the platesetter (not over the openings).  I position the plate setter so that one of the points is aligned with the back of the egg, figuring that this might help with preventing that area from getting too hot.  But maybe it's not doing what I expect.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Don't know what advantage indirect offers with spatchcock. The rear of the egg is the hottest part so in any case that is where you want the dark meat.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    try raised direct at that temp 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    I've only done a couple of spatched birds but did them both direct and didn't have that occur.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Try to get your chicken higher in the dome.  Your discription sounds the same as mine , but i get my chicken up high where the 350 degree heat wraps the surface of the dome.  I never have had to turn the chicken.  You didn't mention brining, but recently, i have started brining the chicken six hours before cooking, makin a totally different finished product.
  • grok
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I'll see if I can jury-rig up some way to raise the chicken as a short term solution for tonight.  Any temporary ideas for that?  I have a couple of half cinderblocks handy, haha.  I guess I won't be able to raise the stock grill itself since it's pretty big...  What grill do you recommend for best value, btw?
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    Home Depot sells replacement grills for Weber products -- measure your grill and you can pick one up for under twenty bucks -- cinder block will work...
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    I go raised direct 350-400

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• grok
    Options
    OK, raised worked.  Had an even temp across the breasts this time.  Only problem is I took too long at the grocery store and it went 1:15 (~5lb bird I think), and was 200 in the dark meat and 185+ in the white.  but still among the best chicken I ever had :D  I used Rudy's BBQ rub, since they are all over the place down here.  It's really a good mix for chicken. 

Direct is better, Faster!  actually got a little crispyness in the skin too :D
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited June 2013
    Options
    My two cents. 400 / raise the grill / go direct / get rid of the Maverick / at about 45 min check with Thermapen. Get smaller bird or use two smaller birds ( I look for 3.25 to 4lb.). No need to flip the bird cooking skin side up.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    +1

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    I used to inject my spatchcocked chicken with "bitter orange" marinate, now i brine them and cut out the injection.  Either way, the spatchcocked chicken cooked high in the dome at 350 to 375 degrees is always running with juices and my finish temperatures many times are ten to fifteen degrees above normal.  And i buy only local fresh small whole chickens - never frozen.  This makes a big difference i think..