Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wife bought 90/10 burgers

Any suggestions on how to cook so they aren't super dry?

Comments

• TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    To 150 regardless. I think it was Travis a couple weeks ago got pretty sick eating undercooked ready made patties.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Chop up some fatty bacon and mix it in. Cook raised, direct, 400. 

Or mix in some blue cheese and cook the same way.

Our saute some mushrooms in butter and mix those in.

Damn, now I want burgers...

Cheers-
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    If they are thin, pinch them together "juicy lucy" style with blue cheese and bacon in the center.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Mix with dehydrated onion and it will suck up what fat there is.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Chopped up red onion works. When Linda buys its 93/7 (ouch).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Mick, Try the dry stuff Canadians don't lie

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Put a plop of butter on top.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    What about adding some raw or partially cooked, cut up bacon to the ground burger? On a good note, the BGE will not dry it out to much. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    I hope you've considered re-educating your wife on proper burgers.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    edited June 2013
    mix it all together add some mayo ,ketchup , mustard and seasoning and fresh onion the mayo will add some moisture to the meat but no flavor the other stuff adds the flavor .cook hot and fast but not over done .medium to medium well and then do what @hapster said 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Add olive oil when you add your seasonings. The extra fat will help!

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• CharlieTN
    CharlieTN Posts: 177

I cooked some burgers the other day that were nothing but ground venison, nothing added in.  Cooked them at 400.  They were a bit dryer than normal burgers but were very good.  Trick is to only flip them once. 

As others have mentioned, you could always finely chop up some smoked bacon and mix it in and start over. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    hapster said:

Hap in my case my wife is an RN (not over weight) and I am fat. It is going to be ( or seem ) a long retirement.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Mickey said:
    hapster said:

Hap in my case my wife is an RN (not over weight) and I am fat. It is going to be ( or seem ) a long retirement.
    I'm struggling with weight, too.  But I just don't see any point in eating food I hate, and it just isn't possible to make burgers worth eating with 90/10 meat, unless you cook them pretty rare, which isn't safe, or add fat as others have suggested, which means 90/10 isn't 90/10 anymore.

My suggestion is to sit down with your RN wife and try to come up with a way to have many healthy meals, but once in a while on some agreed-upon frequency, have something like GOOD burgers, brats, other (gloriously) greasy stuff.  There are lots of lean things that are great on the Egg.  So learn to cook some great stuff that's lean (spatchcock chicken, for example, jerk chicken, etc.) and maybe once a week, even once every two weeks if she's super concerned about your health, cook something that's less lean.  She's happy, you're happy, and nobody's buying 90/10 burger, anymore because there's just no way to make a burger worth eating with that stuff...  :)
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188

We use 90/10 all the time.  I put the cast iron grid on the XL take it to 500F and sear.  I generally cook a dozen so I have lunches for work through the week.  They tend to be on the rare side, which works great for finishing in the nuke and keeping them moist.  The ones we will eat right away off the grill get moved to the front away from the hot spot in the back to finish and come out quite juicy. 

A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa