Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

A soft pretzel experiment

Opened the test kitchen last night to give soft pretzels a shot, in preparation for a 1 year olds birthday party today (1 yr olds have standards too!). Husband and I decided to turn it into dinner with some fresh oysters and made some pretzel rolls for sandwiches. Made for a lovely driday night! I used the Alton Brown soft pretzel recipe thanks to many of you who recommended it.

I cooked them raised indirect on a pizza stone just like my pizza setup. First batch of pretzel bites came out PERFECT but by the 2nd batch, think the pizza stone got too hot and the bottoms were browning faster than the tops, so they didn't get that awesome color on the top. For the cook today, I may try ditching the stone for a few. Check em out.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• ChubbsChubbs Posts: 6,697
    \m/ my kind of night.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • LizzieSampsLizzieSamps Posts: 894
    They look great!

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,895
    That looks really good. 

I'm doing my sons first birthday today too. I'm cooking two 15lb CAB briskets. I'm pretty excited. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • +1 to what Chubbs said.   ^:)^

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • EggPowerEggPower Posts: 25
    Looks great! I need to try that. Soft pretzels are delish!
  • calracefancalracefan Posts: 542
    Pretzels look good !

Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 1,434
    I've wanted to do some pretzels for a long time.  Nice job!  They look awesome!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 1,434
    That looks really good. 

I'm doing my sons first birthday today too. I'm cooking two 15lb CAB briskets. I'm pretty excited. 
    How many 1 year olds can you feed on 30lbs of brisket?

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,622
    Awesome - love pretzels, specially the popper kind. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • JamieoroJamieoro Posts: 180
    @thetrim do it! The smoke flavor the next day in leftovers makes up for loss if crunch. They were really good!
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 7,420
    Well done!!! That all looks great!
  • Recipe call for 450 oven did you do 450 degree dome temp?
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,688
    Nice!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• JamieoroJamieoro Posts: 180
    @ottawa_eggman yep. 450 dome works well. This morning, the temp got away when i was prepping rhe 2nd teay and flew up to 700. That batch wasn't so good...
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,852
    @jamieoro
    If your stone starts to get too hot you can give it a quick wipe with a wet paper towel. That cools it off quickly and keeps you from burning things.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC