Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

They're doing it wrong...

Eggcelsior
Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
This place just opened next to my dry cleaners :

Something is telling me to stay away...;)

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    you mean besides the name  =)) and ribs 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Cooked-in-liquid-for-too-long
    PORK RIBS

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Run. Run away as fast and as far as you can.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Dickeys was great 30 years ago. El-Stinko these days.
  • TurtleCreek
    TurtleCreek Posts: 140
    The sign has a pickle on the pulled pork sandwich ... never had the thought of doing that.  I like a vinegar sauce but never tried a pickle.  Sounds like something that would be served on a McRib.

(But knowing how I am, I'd be right in there checking the joint out!)
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Dickey's and Famous Dave's are just slightly above eating at Applebee's which to me is just McDonald's with beer. So I really don't go there unless it's a outing with a big group that I don't want near my children or my Egg's.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • dawsonhull
    dawsonhull Posts: 105
    I've been to a Dickey's once and was unimpressed.
  • I think people are not being very nice to Cen-Tex.  Here he works at Dickey's training pimple faced pit jockeys doing the best he can.  It's true he might do better training monkeys from the zoo, but he's doing what he can.  We should all be nicer about that.  He's really kind of a big deal around here.

Flint, Michigan
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    Dickey's invaded my city in the last year (four restaurants) and I'm not impressed either.  
    (and I think Famous Dave's is head-n-shoulders better than Dickey's, FWIW...)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I thought Dickeys were work britches!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Grader07
    Grader07 Posts: 264

I've been to a Dickey's once and was unimpressed.

Same here Not very good
  • chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257

This place just opened next to my dry cleaners :

Something is telling me to stay away...;)

Is this in the old Rib City location? Just curious but if I go out for BBQ I usually hit Black Hog.

Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    edited June 2013
    You can't beat Dickey's for great pulled pork. Just sayin =))
    Mark Annville, PA
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Just opened one here too, I'm staying away
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    @chainsaw19, are you in Frederick? It is located off 26 by the Walmart and Giant where a Quiznos used to be.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    One thing they do have that is good if you are hungover is the breakfast sandwich. They have a butter wheel they use to apply the butter to the bread and then they toast it.
    Haven't had one in year but I do remember that greasy goodness as I sat and suffered.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I went there once. Only thing I was impressed with was the plastic cup the drink comes in. That's not saying much. Ours is above Starbucks so that pretty much tells you everything you need to know.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Well I like Dickeys.  I liked them better before they became a national chain, but they are still acceptable in my eyes.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Eggcelsior

Well I like Dickeys.  I liked them better before they became a national chain, but they are still acceptable in my eyes.

I honestly had no idea who they were until I looked them up online. They're all over the place so I immediately thought Famous Daves since it's a chain. I was just being tongue in cheek with the post after seeing "fall off the bone". I suppose I can try them. There is a dearth of BBQ places in Frederick and sometimes you get the itch with no ability to scratch it yourself. Through the window I can see an electric smoker and there is no smoke smell outside. I'll keep my expectations at an appropriate level.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Centex works for Dickies... Bitches and britches.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Never came across a Dickey's in SoCal, but I don't hunt bbq joints now that I have the XL. Am I the only one that puts pickles on pulled pork sandwiches? Not too sure about raw onion but pickles are great!

Cheers -
    B_B

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @BB-I have found a pickle supplier that makes a pickle that is flavored with pickle juice and habaneros and garlic (habagardil by Pops' Pepper Patch).  May be local (Louisville area) but they are great and habit-forming.  Throw a couple of those on the PP sandwich (day two (can't mess with day one)) along with the raw onion and then just breathe on people.  How to win friends :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • no, no, no. This place is based out of Dallas and it'snot real Q. They smoke everything in a factory and just rewarm it in steam trays. There is no smoke coming out of Dickey's bbq.It's not the worst you can get but it ain't real.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • no, no, no. This place is based out of Dallas and it'snot real Q. They smoke everything in a factory and just rewarm it in steam trays. There is no smoke coming out of Dickey's bbq.It's not the worst you can get but it ain't real.
    If it's so bad, why do you work for them?
    Flint, Michigan
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Hey @lousubcap, those sound amazing. Gotta see if I can find those on line...
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    no, no, no. This place is based out of Dallas and it'snot real Q. They smoke everything in a factory and just rewarm it in steam trays. There is no smoke coming out of Dickey's bbq.It's not the worst you can get but it ain't real.
    The original Dickeys, 1941, is in Dallas, the second two are in  Plano . They smoked at those locations , but now I'm curious if they still do it. I'll be passing by today and report back. They are not bad if you don't know 'Q, but we know better! BTW, 'Q in Texas always has pickles and sliced onions available.
  • chainsaw19

@chainsaw19, are you in Frederick? It is located off 26 by the Walmart and Giant where a Quiznos used to be.

Got it, yes I live in Middletown...grew up out that way in Wville.
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • Eggcelsior
    @chainsaw19, I'm from Walkerville too. Did you go to school there?
  • chainsaw19
    @eggcelsior sure did, class of 89
    Large BGE Middletown, MD