Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Long time Friends - Rusty CGW grates

Hello friends!!  Sorry it has been so long.  Crazy stuff has been happening in my life and I was away from my EGG for far too long (About 4 months) anyway back and when I started up my old friend, she was a little moldy no big deal, I can take care of that but my CGW grates were rusty.  Anyone have sugguestions for how I can bring them back to their glory? 

Thanks, can't wait to see what's new and happening on the forum.  I left when it got a little crazy last fall! 

Comments

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

I for one missed you. Whatever happened? All OK?

Anyway, there is a group buy on a "grid extender" thread. Get in and get a set of those. Its super and $25.

The swing rack has this problem and you can try oiling it well and throwing it in a clean burn in the egg. Guess you need to do that anyway for the mould. Cool down and oil again.

Glad you are back.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Take a steel brush and remove any loose rust. Rub down with vegetable oil (easier if you can manage to put it in a spray bottle" then season it at 350 for 2 hours.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    @Aviator - Well LONG story short, we had to remodel our 1st floor,  it was to take 5 weeks, w. 3 weeks being out of the house entirely.  WELL,  we were out of the house for over 10 weeks, and still not done, contractor left, and owes us a lot of $$$  we had to move back in so had to hire subs to complete the work inside and fix the work he had did.  It has been a total nightmare, but almost over.  He still owes us over 9K and we are exploring our options on that.  

Are you back from deployment?  

@Hibby - I did a clean burn for the mold, bye bye.  I brushed off what would come off and then sprayed her down with oil, and have ran it over 20 hrs since so I guess I seasoned it without knowing it.  Ha ha.  I was so sad when I saw they rusted, but I should have brought them in over the winter, my bad!
  • Hibby
    No biggie. I've a set on my weber kettle which have been through the rust cycle moe than I care to admit.
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Lizzie,
     I don't have much experience with cast iron other than the Daisy Wheel if you spray it with oil and put it in a hot egg, it comes out really new looking. The wire brush doesn't sound like a bad idea if it's really bad.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • LizzieSamps
    ha ha, prior to the BGE I only toyed around on the gasser.  I had a friend buy a webber recently and called me so excited to tell me about it.  He said,  Now I can have meat like yours!  So without wanting to be a downer, I said, well close to it anyway!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Welcome back @LizzieSamps-sorry to read about your contractor issues but on the plus side you are back with your BGE.  Lots of new Eggers of late so lots of new cooks and old and new questions.  Hang on to that phone :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Welcome back!
    Lynnwood WA
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    We missed you @LizzieSamps. Welcome home. >:D<

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Welcome back. You should be able to treat the swing grates like cast iron and bring them back to their glory. No need to buy the grill extender when you'be got the swing rack.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Welcome back... Brush it down and spray it well with cooking oil and they'll be fine.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Welcome back!  I have had mixed views about my CGW since the first time I used it.  Rust, unsightly thick grill marks and bark sticking on low and slows come to mind.  Fact is after the grill extender deal, I would give the rust bucket (CGW) away for the cost of shipping.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • LizzieSamps
    I have the grill extender from one of my first purchases last year.  I still have my eyes on a cast iron grate, never got it.  I need to figure out storage, right now the egg is over 30 ft from what was the back patio, but she cooked our lunch for all the workers just fine!  Just a bit of a walk!!  I just need to take the top rack off and scrape it down!  
  • LizzieSamps
    Oh,  how wrong I was!  I see it is not the grill extender, which I Hate!! Instead it is the GRID extender,  oh I want want want want one.  I posted on the group buy post, am I too Late :(  OH please some one hook a smokin' lady up!  
  • LizzieSamps
    lousubcap said:
    Welcome back @LizzieSamps-sorry to read about your contractor issues but on the plus side you are back with your BGE.  Lots of new Eggers of late so lots of new cooks and old and new questions.  Hang on to that phone :)
    Oh how I have laughed over that nights events!!  
  • Hibby
    @bowhunr really want to get rid of the cgw? I'm interested.
  • LizzieSamps
    No not wanting to get rid of.  They are serving me well, sometimes I don't like the thick grid marks on smaller pieces of chicken or beef.  I like to have options, ya know!
  • Oh,  how wrong I was!  I see it is not the grill extender, which I Hate!! Instead it is the GRID extender,  oh I want want want want one.  I posted on the group buy post, am I too Late :(  OH please some one hook a smokin' lady up!  

PM'd
    Flint, Michigan