Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Disappointing Results on Tri-Tip and Stuffed Mushrooms

Options
CPARKTX
CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
The grilling gods just weren't smiling on me tonight. Made stuffed mushrooms, but they turned out bland. Next time I'll do a sausage of similar filling instead of crab meat. Over cooked the tri-tip. Was getting wide range of Termapen readings in different part of meat each time I tested. Ended up overcoming. Good flavor but was closer to medium well. The beer however was ice cold, so that's something.
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options

Here is a stuffed shroom I recently did that we liked,  Several options to use for stuffing.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1322416&catid=1

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Here is a stuffed shrooms pic I did recently. Bacon, then sauté shallots and garlic in the grease. Mix cream cheese, parm reg, bacon and shallots and garlic. Good stuff.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • biznork
    biznork Posts: 112
    Options
    When I get wild readings on the thermapen I almost always end up overcooking whatever I'm cooking.  I've gotten to the point where I just stick the meat in one place and rely on a single reading instead of over thinking it .
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Grind up the tri tip, heat in:

2 cups beef broth
    1 stick of butter
    Splash worch sauce
    A little mustard

Serve on toasted hoagie rolls. Topped with your preferred sammich veggies and cheese.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Options
    Typically there is plenty of fat marbling in a Tri Tip roast.  If you do it slow and low at 230-240 degrees indirect and bring the internal temp to 190-195 it should be fork tender.  Foil wrap it and let it rest in a cooler for at least an hour.  I have done about 8 of them over the last 2 years and never had a failure.  One of the best tips I can give is to find a reliable butcher that carries good quality meat.  You never know what you will get at places that sell prepackaged cuts of meat.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • chukknob
    chukknob Posts: 10
    Options
    Cook indirect to 135-140 tops and let rest for 10 minutes. Slice against he grain. Will be perfect every time. Or you could sear it off and then smoke but always pull it at that temp.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I have found that if I am getting erratic readings with my Thermapen I remove the meat from the grill and take a reading.  Sometimes it's tough to keep from picking up the heat of the grill when you're taking a reading.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE