Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick Pork Butt advice

My first butt was a semi-turbo and it turned out well, but I wanted to try low and slow.  

I think I may have started a little too low.

I had the Egg stabilized at 240* and put on the 8.5# at 12:00.  I have a Maverick and woke up to a 195* grid warning at 6:30.  The butt was at 151.

I inched it up to get the dome temp (and grid, they're the same now) up to 240*.  Within 45 minutes my butt went to 158*.  I don't think I've entered the stall yet because the butt responded to the increase in temperature.  

I think I am still on track for having it ready for the cooler at around 3:30.  I don't want to overreact and increase the heat but the fact I may not be in the stall yet has me worried.  the 2 hour/pound time estimate has it ready a little too close to eating time.

Should I just watch it until noon at 240* and then decide whether to bump it up?  Was smoking at 200 for most of the night going to really slow things down/dry it out?  My instincts are it is not a problem but I have researched enough recipes to see that most dont' cook their butts at 200*.  I am wondering if that's for a reason.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    Your plan of sitting tight until noon then adjusting as needed seems sound. I doubt it will be dried out from the lower temp through the night.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    I usually cook them a little warmer than that 250-270,but not sure that little of themp change will all that much difference. I think you probably have a pretty good plan,maybe ride it out til 11 and then take action if needed. If it would happen to finish a little early it will hold well in the cooler.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • I would let it ride but maybe make a decision a little before noon. That way you can foil and bump temp early enough to still get an hour or so to rest in cooler before pulling. No worries about being dry. I have done several that low and have never had one dry out yet.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    You are basically at the 160 degree magic number, you can kick the grid temperature up to 300 to 330 degrees to drive thru the stall period and up to your finish temperature.  The minimum one hour rest period is very important, so you don't want to cut that out of the schedule.  I always plan on finishing early, kick back and relax while the butt can rest up to five hours in the cooler.  The unpredictability of the rest period is why i will never go back to "low and slow" butt cooking. 
  • Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    @Charlie tuna: I had a very easy, successful turbo butt, but I wanted to see if I was missing anything, especially on the bark. I will report back on the results.

As for the plan, I will just monitor at 11:00 and hope for some change in temp. but plan on foiling at 1:00 if I need to rock and roll. I think I will be fine if others have cooked at that 200*
  • Beaumonty
    The butt had slowly climbed up to 183 so it looks like I slipped through the stall. I am going to keep it at 250 until it hits 195

The bark is looking great (I peeked). I hope FTC doesn't soften it too much.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    @Beaumonty-sometimes there is a second stall, a protracted climb thru the low 190's.  I've seen that one take 4 hours to move 5 *F.  Your best finish indicator is when the bone pulls clean-then you are there.  I've gone in to the low 200's for that to happen.  FWIW-YMMV
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Beaumonty
    That is my go to indicator on ribs. I am glad you told me that. I think I will shoot for 199 but watch for the bone.
  • Beaumonty
    I pulled it at 201. The bone was pulling out and it passed the probe/butter test on 80% of the meat. I figured three ours of FTC will finish it off nicely.

Here is the pic:image
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    Strong work.  Looks great.  Where and when are we eating this?   I seem to have misplaced my invitation...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    Gotta be a winner-enjoy the eats!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.