Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Merry Christmas and may your holiday be filled with delicious food and loved ones...to help you devour the food! Our Holiday Entertaining Guide can help if you’re still making a Christmas menu. If you’re looking for fun, last minute holiday activities, check out EGGcellent Sugar Cookies, BGE Cake Pops, Santa Hat Brownies, Pig Candy or Holiday Drinks! See you in the New Year EGGheads!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Quick Pork Butt advice

My first butt was a semi-turbo and it turned out well, but I wanted to try low and slow.  

I think I may have started a little too low.

I had the Egg stabilized at 240* and put on the 8.5# at 12:00.  I have a Maverick and woke up to a 195* grid warning at 6:30.  The butt was at 151.

I inched it up to get the dome temp (and grid, they're the same now) up to 240*.  Within 45 minutes my butt went to 158*.  I don't think I've entered the stall yet because the butt responded to the increase in temperature.  

I think I am still on track for having it ready for the cooler at around 3:30.  I don't want to overreact and increase the heat but the fact I may not be in the stall yet has me worried.  the 2 hour/pound time estimate has it ready a little too close to eating time.

Should I just watch it until noon at 240* and then decide whether to bump it up?  Was smoking at 200 for most of the night going to really slow things down/dry it out?  My instincts are it is not a problem but I have researched enough recipes to see that most dont' cook their butts at 200*.  I am wondering if that's for a reason.

Thanks in advance.

Comments