Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

200 too low for pork butt?

Been on for 3.5 hours. I'll bump it to 230-240 in the morning but is itok to letthe temp hover this low? Dome is about 230-240 but grate temp is 190ish. I'm all about sloooooow.

Comments

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    From what I understand its fine but I think others will say different.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • That's pretty low. I'd bump it up to 250. I really don 't think there is any advantage to going that low. You'll get the same result between 250-275. Best of luck.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

There is a too low with low&slow and with the BGE if you are at 200*F on the dome then you are likely no better than averaging 190+ at the cooking grid-you will never get there (finished) from here.  Most BGE's have a "sweet-spot" at around 240-260*F on the dome and can run there for 20+ hours without much attention.  Remember for indirect cooks, the dome is hotter than the grid so plan accordingly. Pulled pork is finished when the bone pulls clean or you get no resistance to a probe generally 195-205*F. or a bit more. FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    I don't think it's too low but I prefer around 230 which can take 16 hours for the butt to hit 200.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I would bump to 250-275 if I was goin low and slow or I would sleep all night get up in the morning, fire up the egg till stable @ 325, put the butt on and eat 8hrs later. All kinds of ways to get to good pork.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • You'll get there, the road will just be a little longer.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Will take forever to cook at that temp and I would think it will start to dry out the butt. Plus there is a better than fair chance your fire could go out at that temp...
    Greensboro, NC
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    My last double butt cook was at 220 and never had a problem -- turbo cooked
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    200 grate I'm at about230 dome.
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Sitting at 286 right now with 2 8#ers and trying to ramp down between 250/275. I would bump up a little if I were you.
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• busmania
    I bumped it. I'm going to try and get it to 225 grate before I go to bed. I don't want to dry it out.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I would not worry about drying it out at low temp, more concerned with fire going out overnight. I've done 29 hours at 225 dome (before I knew better and learned turbo) and it was moist as can be. It's hard to maintain that low a fire manually (I got lucky).
    I've got a Redi-check thermometer that will buzz if temp gets too low (fire goes out).
  • 225 grate is exactly where I like it. Depending on size I usually hit 200 IT at around 18-20 hours.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN