Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggs inside avocado - anyone done it on the Egg?

Options
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/04/eggs-baked-in-avocado-recipe.html

I'm intrigued by this recipe.  Anyone tried something like it on the Egg?  I feel like this and some sausage links would be a great Egg breakfast, but I wonder about how the avocado would react to lump flavors.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I haven't done eggs but I have done chorizo, salsa, onion and cheese. Really good! Egg should work.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    Thanks, LS.  Won't have a chance to Egg breakfast until next weekend, but I plan to spend all of Fathers' Day Egging, and I think this is how I'm going to start it out.

• Little Steven
    Options
    You can do them in the skin or skinned. If they are going to be in for a while I would leave the skin on. You could do them skinned on fresh tortillas indirect too to get you some extra time..

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Added to the "to-do" list, thanks!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I have. I think I picked it up from @doceggerton. Skinned, halved, cracked an egg, cheese and wrapped in bacon. Don't get avocados too ripe... Too soft. They're really tasty.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    Love avocados but not sure about this recipe. Thinking avocados would absorb too much smoke taste. Maybe not. Look at me being ambiguous.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    Hibby said:
    Love avocados but not sure about this recipe. Thinking avocados would absorb too much smoke taste. Maybe not. Look at me being ambiguous.
    Allow me to enlighten you.  You can never have too much smoke taste!  

On a serious note...anything you cook in the oven you can cook in the egg and it will be better.  If you don't want it smokey- cook at 350+ and let the egg stabilize.  A slight hint of fire roasted + more moisture.  There is a reason people bake pies on the egg ;);)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    I do avocado's stuffed with chorizo and cheese and about everything else a couple of times a month. Never had them turn out too smoky. I leave the skins on. I was contemplating doing scrambled eggs, might try this at the same time.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Hibby said:
    No using four syllable words here. Ambiguous has like a lot of them. We aren't that bright

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options

Hibby said:

No using four syllable words here. Ambiguous has like a lot of them. We aren't that bright

Speak for yourself. I've been approached by members of MENSA... I directed them to the restroom.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    Stupid question. By stabilize you just mean temp staying steady right?
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    Don't be silly, LS.  Everyone knows an ambiguous is something that can live in water or on land, like a frog.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Hibby said:
    A-vo-ca-do  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    henapple said:
    I have. I think I picked it up from @doceggerton. Skinned, halved, cracked an egg, cheese and wrapped in bacon. Don't get avocados too ripe... Too soft. They're really tasty.
    Where is @doceggerton BTW...  Haven't heard from him in a while.  Hope all is well.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • henapple
    Options
    Saturday... One thing I enjoy is experimenting on the egg. Grab you a few avocados and try it. I've spent afternoons cooking 20 apps ... All different variations. Don't be afraid to stuff a jalapeno with chocolate and cherries, wrapped in bacon. Cheese stuffed pears wib..
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    The combination of sweet or salty and spicy is great. I love cooking with avocado's because they are low carb and can be cooked with almost anything.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • henapple
    Options
    I thought that came from you...
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    Hibby said:

Stupid question. By stabilize you just mean temp staying steady right?

Yeah...dont add any wood and let the egg burn for a while. 350 minimum...perhaps hotter. After 30-40 minutes it will burn cleanly and you will get little smoke if u do t want it.