Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A-Maze-N Smokers ?s

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum

As was just mentioned in another thread, everything at amazenproducts is 20% off with COUPON CODE = SMFDAD1 until 6/16. Thinking about getting one of those smokers for cheese and bacon and stuff.

What is the best size for the Egg? And should I get one that burns dust or pellets? Any info from experienced users would be appreciated.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• cheech5001
    cheech5001 Posts: 102
    At the Toronto Egg fest one of the cooks was doing some cold smoking (cheese and trout, both delicious).

I spoke with him and he suggested rather than spending money on a device like this, he just used a stainless steel colander, put in the appropriate sawdust for what he was doing, and dropped a lit briquette or two in it.

Seemed to work like a charm.
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965

@griffin looks like a great deal I have been looking at these myself until I clicked on the shipping charges. 

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • carter422
    carter422 Posts: 58
    I had one that I used in a Masterbuilt smoker instead of loading wood chips all the time.  I had better results using the dust than I did the pellets.
  • TurtleCreek
    TurtleCreek Posts: 140
    edited June 2013
    I know there's tons of talk about these over at http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/newposts (run your own search)
     Lot's of masterbuilt smokers use them.
    I'm 99% sure the owner is a pretty well respected moderator over there.  
    Don't think it's for my BGE at this time, but the 20%  off sure makes them a lot more attractive if some one was on the fence.
  • Hey G- I got the big one that does dust and pellets. It works awesome. 8-12 hours of smoke easily. I bought a big bag of Traeger apple pellets for my bacon.much cheaper than their pellets. Highly recommended.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    I have the AMNPS 5x8.  I have had good luck with it and have not had any lighting issues or any problems with it staying lit when I follow the directions.  I get about 10-12 hours of smoke on one load.  I use pellets but it can also be used with dust.  I have enjoyed it and would say it was worth the $40.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Hey G- I got the big one that does dust and pellets. It works awesome. 8-12 hours of smoke easily. I bought a big bag of Traeger apple pellets for my bacon.much cheaper than their pellets. Highly recommended.

I've got the same one. Use either pellets or dust. I grind my own pellets when I want dust in a spare coffee grinder.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    I also got the one that does pellets and dust. I like the pellets for ease of use. Cheese and nuts have come out great.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• billsme
    billsme Posts: 42
    Does anyone use the tubes for regular smokes, not just cold?  Are they at all economical compared to buying chunks?
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Same one as CT here. The key is heating in over first before you light it. Let burn for 10 mins then blow out flame. Will burn for hours like that. Good product once you figure out its quirks
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • tactical_66
    tactical_66 Posts: 207
    I use a large tomato can that I drilled holes around the bottom. Just load with pellets and I use a map gas torch to get it smoldering from the bottom. Works great for cheese so far.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    They got great reviews here when they were first introduced. I think it's the same company that makes the pro Q smoker

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    I have the same one as CT I use pellets and preheat the whole thing loaded with pellets in the oven at 220 for 2minutes hasn't gone out on me yet
    Lynnwood WA