Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Weekend of Egging Ahead: Bacon Scallops, Apple Pies & First Butt

I'm getting pumped up for the weekend already

Tonight: Bacon wrapped scallops, veggies and apple pies baked in apple

After that I will put on my first ever boston butt tonight! I am going to try and follow the Elder Ward style. I plan on using yellow mustard and dizzy dust and just letting it coast at 225 until internal of 195. 

Will it be ok to have the egg cranking at 400 for tonights dinner then tame it down straight into a 225 low and slow overnight? Any tips or recommendations?  Importantly I will have my favorite libations and iPad at the ready.

Hope y'all have a great weekend

------------
Beers & BBQ

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    You should be fine, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to check your temps rig before you turn in. I can never sleep more than a couple hours at a time when I am overnight cooking so I check temps often just to be sure...takes 2 minutes, smells good, and it's always interesting to see what the neighbors are doing...
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Is that the temp for scallops 400 F? I have been wanting to try them but don't know how to cook them and I don't want to ruin them. Anybody want to give some pointers ?
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • WalrusBBQ
    WalrusBBQ Posts: 153
    Is that the temp for scallops 400 F? I have been wanting to try them but don't know how to cook them and I don't want to ruin them. Anybody want to give some pointers ?
    Here is the recipe I plan to loosely follow:

Scallops Wrapped in Bacon
    Submitted by Wise One
    Based on the the Bacon Wrapped Scallops done by the Cornerstone Restaurant in Fishkill, NY.
    Ingredients:
    Ÿ ½ LB fresh sea scallops (1 ¼ to 1 ½ “ across) (10-16 in number)
    Ÿ ¼ LB raw bacon (very lean center cut).
    Ÿ 10-16 toothpicks soaked in water for 30 minutes
    Ÿ ½ cup wine or lemon juice
    Ÿ Favorite rub
    Preparation:
    Ÿ Marinate scallops for 30 minutes or so in wine or lemon juice with water.
    Ÿ Take a ½ piece of bacon and wrap around the scallop securing in place with a toothpick.
    Ÿ Coat the exposed ends of the scallop with a favorite rub (Paul Prudhomme’s Cajun magic or
    similar.)
    Cooking:
    Ÿ Cook over a drip pan on a seafood grill for 30 minutes at 375 degrees. Turn half way through.
    Ÿ Serve alone or with a favorite cocktail sauce.
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    A few suggestions. Don't worry about the 225 mark... 250 to 260 will be fine. 195 is a great starting temp to begin checking the butt... Wait until the bone is really loose and the meat is fork tender.

Good eating...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • WalrusBBQ
    To the eggsperts out there:

To truss or not to truss the pork?

Yellow mustard before rub or just rub?

Cheers
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

• Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669

If I have boneless butts I truss them, no need if it is a bone in.

I'm a straight rub guy.

Have fun.

Edina, MN

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited June 2013

As noted by @henapple most BGE's seem to have a low&slow sweet spot around 240-260*f on the dome.  And I would make sure you are stable at whatever low&slow temp you land at for at least an hour before loading the butt.  Don't chase temperature or you will be up all night.

Check your lump load after the hot and fast cook and add more if you even remotely think you are low (within reason you can't have too much lump).  You didn't mention size of the butt but at the above mentioned temps plan on around 2 hrs/#.  If finished early, then foil, towels and cooler (FTC) til ready to pull.

BTW-mustard or not-your choice.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Thanks WalrusBBQ !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    If cooking scallops indirect, cut vent back to lower temp setting when you pull scallops off and then eat dinner. When you get back egg temp should have dropped. In other words, if platesetter is in during 400 degree cook it will take some time to lower egg temp for 250 cook so dont expect immediate response to vent changes. The ceramic holds heat a long time.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SaturdayFatterday
    SaturdayFatterday Posts: 468
    edited June 2013
    Probably goes without saying, but:  

I'd build your fire according to Elder Ward's method before you do the scallops.  That way, you've got the big chunks in place toward the bottom for low and slow, and you can add smaller chunks up top, if necessary, after you've cooked the scallops.  If you just haphazardly put lump in like someone might for a normal 30-minute cook, adding more on top later is not going to help much.  The foundation has to be secure, so to speak.

Also, thanks for sharing that scallop recipe!

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • WalrusBBQ
    Pictures thus far this weekend:

------------
    Beers & BBQ

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    How'd you cook the apple pie?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • You have too much Woodford.  I'd be glad to take some of it off your hands.

Seriously, looking good so far.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • WalrusBBQ
    SWMBO enjoys placing her wine glass in each picture. I don't drink much of the grape juice.

Other than that, the dome dipped down to 190 overnight with the butt so slowly regaining lost ground now.

Hopefully still on target for PP for dinner. Main guest at 141* dome at 250*
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

@WalrusBBQ-don't know your time-zone but if your pork is at 141 right now you haven't been to or thru the stall so you have many hours in front of you.  Depending on time you can dial up the BGE to around 300*F to help get it done or google "texas crutch" for the foiling option.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WalrusBBQ
    ya at 154 now on the 7#

hopefully it doesnt stall for too long
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

• WalrusBBQ
    Pork butt turned out great:

For a first butt we loved it. But our takeways would be start earlier and FTC longer and maybe use another chunk or two of hickory.

Again, thank you to everyone for all the great information on this site. 
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ