Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bought a B/I pork shoulder that came cut in half! Oh no!

The way the shoulder was packaged, it appeared to be a normal pork shoulder but alas it is in two strips, each weighing about 3.75lbs. I've never cooked a shoulder that was in two pieces before. I know the cooking time will be less but I'm also wondering if I'm going to have trouble keeping it moist. Smoker is running at 250* right now, but I'm going to try and take it down to about 220* over the course of the cook. I've taken some extra precautions to try to avoid  drying it out....injected with 3 cups, slathered in mustard and a water pan. I'm planning on keeping it on the smoke for 2 hours...maybe three if I can drop the temp quickly enough. Should I wrap it in foil before then?

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Got any butcher's twine?
  • No, that was my first thought. Usually do but I guess I overlooked that last time I was at the market.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I would tie it up as Spaightlabs said. However, I once bought two 5 lb butts and cut one in half just to see how much quicker the two small ones would cook. All three on the large, 250° dome. All three took the same amount of time! No difference in the taste, texture or moisture. Butts are strange creatures though. You never know how long one is going to take.

I've never wrapped a butt in foil while it was cooking. Rarely AFTER the cook for that matter.

Good luck!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I don't think it will effect the outcome, might cook a little faster and a little less moisture -- but it will be good!!  I have cooked eight pound butts along with 4 pound butts -- not a problem, just monitor the little one for finish temperature, then when it comes off, start monitoring the larger piece..
  • I usually wrap mine in foil for about an hour after cooking, but on occasion I'll wrap it in foil during the cook if I'm tight on time or the color is getting too dark for my liking.

Can't tie 'em together, so solo they go. Should be fine, just perturbed that I thought I was buying a whole and ended up with two smaller pieces.
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    look at it this way, you are getting more bark :)
    Pentwater, MI
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414