Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Seal - now I have a problem

Options
I put a new seal on.....now the top and bottom don't mate perfectly like it used to.  Do I need to take it apart and re-align?

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Assuming you just changed your gasket??  How did you determine "they "don't mate perfectly"?  Did you remove the dome to replace the gasket?
  • bigrob49er
    Options
    Charlie - no.  I didn't.  after reading more and watching a you tube or two, i realized I need to remove it.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I have replaced three gaskets, medium,large and an extra large and never had to romove the dome.  I replaced with the Rutland gasket.  Since you didn't remove the dome, i don't understand why your two surfaces aren't matching up?   Now the Rutland is a thick gasket and can compensate for unevenness between the two surfaces.  Did you use a Rutland?
  • yellowdogbbq
    yellowdogbbq Posts: 389
    Options
    You don't have to remove the top dome to re-aline the top and bottom.  Do you have an under-bite issue?  Happens when the new gasket is thicker than the old.  
  • bigrob49er
    Options
    yea. underbite.  I didn't even look at what seal I used the first time.  This time, I got one from High-que. I'm building a simple table this weekend and repalcing a seal, so I will remove the dome and re-allign.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    You don't have to remove it.  With the lid down, just loosen the bolts all the way.  Align the hinge, and tighten it back up.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You don't have to remove it, just loosen the straps and hinge bolts and try to get the straps even around the hemispheres, tighten...do the dollar bill test, repeat until you're happy with it.  It doesn't have to be perfect.
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I was just looking at my under bite. Its annoying, I am annoyed I removed the dome in order to carry my large up stairs to my backyard.
    I have tried loosening the bolts and even did then wrench method on the hinge seen on YouTube. It got better but not perfect.

Passes the bill test and no leakage its purely a looks thing at this point.

Seattle, WA