Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh Ham - What to Do?

Anthony Up North
Anthony Up North Posts: 205
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 12 lb. fresh ham (unsmoked pork ham) waiting for me at the butcher. What to do with it? Not much advice in recipe section.[p]First- since this is a ham compared to a Boston Butt or Picnic, is the preparation, before and after grillin much different?[p]Then, do I have it cut in two equal pieces?[p]Any advice on rubs and prep before it goes on the EGG?[p]How to prepare on grill? (Slow and indirect - but at what temps for how long?)[p]What to do with left-overs. How do you prepare them? Would one pull it or just re-heat, slice, and eat with Q sauce?[p]I need much advice on this project! Your help and experience would be much, much, appreciate. I am indebted to you all for so much already, but I might as well run up the tab even more. Someday maybe I can pay you all back just a teeenie weeeenie bit.[p]Anthony

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Anthony Up North,
    I just did one a couple of weeks ago.
    Since it is ham and a leaner piece of meat go with higher temps. I went with 350*. Use 30 min per pd as a guide.
    I scored the top (fat Side) into diamond shapes and inserted dried clove into the diamond cuts.
    Cook for an internal temp of 160*
    As for left overs I vacuum seal and freeze for use later in sandwichs, scalloped potatos, ham salad and list goes on. Hope this helps.
    You might want to spray or baste with coke and brown sugar mixture (or variety there of) the last 45 min or so to glaze it.
    I use either apple, peach, sugar maple or pecan for smoke.

• Dave
    Dave Posts: 163
    Anthony Up North,[p]I can't offer you any advice on the ham, but I CAN echo what you said about our indebtedness to the fine people on this board for all of their guidance and encouragement. While I will probably never be able to tell them anything they don't already know about BGE-ing, I know that someday I'll be the "voice of experience" offering nuggets of wisdom to Egg newbies. In the meantime, though, I'm having fun learning.[p]
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Dave,
    You nailed it. Pay back is helping newbies. I wish I had a forum like this when I first started Q'n.

• JJ,[p]Yes, it certainly helps. I had not thought of higher temps because of leaner meat. One of my friends (who spit roast hole hogs) said it is excellent in sandwiches and Q sauce. I will certainly try that with your famous JJ dipping sauce.[p]Also just yesterday I got some green sugar maple. Will try that at smoke.[p]Thanks for the info.[p]Anthony

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Anthony Up North,
    I like my hams the old fashion way. I would brine it for about a week in salt and spices, then smoke it low and slow over hickory. Then to finish put in a pan and cross hatch it with a knife, incert cloves in the square,lay a few pinappple rings on the ham, glaze it with a mixture of brown sugar and honey and return it to the egg. It will smell like Christmas. I did two for Thanksgiving and they were GRRR...ATE.