Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

CheddarWusrt

GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,768
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum

Sorry it took so long to finally get this post up. Thanks for being patient to those who wanted the recipe.

Started off last Friday by grinding up 5 lbs of quality pork butt from Hirsch's meat market. image

5lbs all ground up, spices and cheese mixed in and ready to sit overnight in the fridge.

Before stuffing, make sure to test fry a patty and adjust seasoning as needed.

Stuffed them the next day into 32mm hog casings. Two of them got cooked Saturday as a last minute addition to our menu. Just grilled them up on the Mini Egg (so glad I have two eggs so I can do low and slow on one and medium (or high) on the other.

And the rest sat in the fridge. When I finally got around to cooking them, I got my Egg up to 400F and plopped down a Cast Iron skillet filled with 32 oz of sauerkraut, some yellow onions, a bit of beer, butter, dry mustard, garlic powder, paprika, red pepper and some black pepper. I let that get warm for about 15 minutes before throwing in my cheddarwurst.

I cooked the wurst for 15 minutes, flipped and another 15 minutes and then put it directly on the grill.

Let that cook about another 10 minutes or so (IT temp was 150) and then pulled it.

Gotta show a sliced shot.

If you look real closely and squint your eyes, you can see a bit of smoke ring even.

Ingredients

• 5 lb pork butt, ground
  • 5 tsp Kosher Salt
  • 5 tsp sugar
  • 1 Tb Ground Coriander
  • 1 Tb Ground Sage
  • 1 tsp Paprika
  • 1 tsp fresh Rosemary, finely chopped (or 2 tsp dried)
  • 1 Tb Dry Mustard
  • 1 tsp Black Pepper
  • 1 tsp Nutmeg
  • 8 oz Cheddar cheese, cubed in ¼” pieces (high temp sausage if you can find it)
  • 1 cup cold water
  • 32mm Pork casings; tied off into 6” lengths.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·

Comments

• JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,583
    Bookmarked, now I am hungry! Thanks Griff.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 2,750
    @Griffin,

- What grinder/stuffer are you using?

- Approx. how sausages does that recipe make?

- Can those be frozen and thawed later for cooking?

Thanks!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Awesome. Thanks for the step by step. Thats a sweet looking grinder too. What brand of casings did you use?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • CowdogsCowdogs Posts: 484
    @Griffin,

- What grinder/stuffer are you using?

- Approx. how sausages does that recipe make?

- Can those be frozen and thawed later for cooking?

Thanks!
    Looks like a Northern Tool.  Great grinder for the money.  Other companies market this same unit under different names.

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,768

@TexanOfTheNorth

Grinder - Kitchener #12 $99 at Northern Tools

Stuffer - Lem 5#, A bit over a $100 at Academy and other places

That made 5 lbs of sausage. Depends on how big your casings are and how long you make them. I made about ten 0.5lb sausages. Not sure why they were so thick, it was a new type of casings for me and even though they were supposed to be 32mm, they came out 40mm. Way too big for buns. Going back to LEM casings.

I only cooked 4 sausages. The other six I froze for about 30 minutes on a cookie sheet and then vac-sealed them. I do this so that they don't get crushed/deformed under pressure.

Richardson, Texas

·
    @Griffin, thanks! One more question... you use a separate grinder and stuffer. Any particular reason for that? I want to start making my own sausage (especially andouille which I cannot find up here in the frozen north) and had been looking at grinder/stuffer combinations.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited June 2013

@caliking I used Homepack Brand. They were supposed to be 32mm, but mine came out over 40mm. Going back to LEM from now on.

@Cowdogs you nailed it on the head. Not the biggest or baddest, but great for 5 to 10 lb batches.

Richardson, Texas

·
    @Griffin, thanks! One more question... you use a separate grinder and stuffer. Any particular reason for that? I want to start making my own sausage (especially andouille which I cannot find up here in the frozen north) and had been looking at grinder/stuffer combinations.

Because while grinders can work as stuffers, it's really a pain in the ass. It's a two man job for sure (and Mrs. G was tired of being my helper), one to force/shove the mixture down the throat of the grinder and one to work the casings and depending on your recipe, can take a lot of arm strength. Not to mention you really can't control the speed and can have a lot of blow outs if the person on the casings doesn't know what they are doing or aren't paying attention. I want to say that it was my bratwurst recipe that finally convinced me to get a stuffer. It was super sticky due to eggs, corn syrup, water and dry milk. Created a lot of suction when you pushed it down the throat of the grinder, some of it would go down, some would come back up. It took forever and my arms were super tired. With a dedicated stuffer, you cram all the meat mixture in the hopper and you can crank out the sausage as fast or as slow as you want while doing the casings with the other hand. Like I said, its not necessary (I did without for a year), but like a BGE, once you get a dedicated stuffer, you'll ask yourself "Why did I wait this long?"

Richardson, Texas

·
    Thanks again Griff!
    No worries. I'm more than happy to answer any questions that I can.

Richardson, Texas

·

Aww crap...in the ingredients...its supposed to be hi-temp cheese, not hi-temp sausage. Too late to edit it I guess.

Richardson, Texas

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,113
    :x
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    These photos make me want to go out and buy a meat grinder.  It is hard to find good sausage around here.  My BIL was a butcher and had his own butcher shop.  During the Christmas holidays he would make sausage with different types of cheeses in them.  Always looked forward to them!!
    ·
    edited June 2013

What's holding you back @Charlie_tuna?

Richardson, Texas

·
    I have never owned a meat grinder -- i know you can't go cheap on their purchase -- and am not sure how much of a PITA it is to clean.  Just three adults here, but then i could freeze up a bunch.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,113
    Next time you pass within a mile of my house. Please have those in the ice chest. I have cash or I can ask Travis come mow your yard.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,828
    Mickey said:
    Next time you pass within a mile of my house. Please have those in the ice chest. I have cash or I can ask Travis come mow your yard.
    In his jockstrap?
    ·
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    I want to make that, Grif.  Just too much going on right now.  I'll pester you when the time is right.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,796

Great, another obsession of mine in the making. Really want to do this. Did you mix in cheese cubes or shreadded cheese.

=D>
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
    I have never owned a meat grinder -- i know you can't go cheap on their purchase -- and am not sure how much of a PITA it is to clean.  Just three adults here, but then i could freeze up a bunch.
    Just soak it in hot soapy water and wash like any other dish that raw meat touched. Not hard.

@Mickey I'll get you some somehow no cash needed.

@Village_Idiot I'll answer any questions I can when you are ready.

@Chubbs cubes of high temp cheese

Richardson, Texas

·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,314
    Do you ship! :D

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,485
    edited June 2013
    I'm sure this beats my Kroger bratwurst we had on the mini for lunch today.

Well done!
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • OK, you've officially made me decide that we need a meat grinder.  I will forward all of SWMBO's complaints to you.

Just kidding, she's not going to complain about house-made sausage.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
    ·
    OK Grif, i'm on a mission to find a heavy duty meat grinder....   I'm taking your word that it wil be well worth it!!!
    ·