Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
National BBQ Month sure was tasty! We hope you got to try just as many new BBQ recipes as we did and some old favorites as well. If not, you can find all our BBQ recipes here and try them out all summer long. One of our favorites was Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise and Ted Reader’s Rum Injected Sweet Potatoes. As the weather’s heating up, use your EGG for a cool treat-Ice Cream Sandwiches! Keep an eye out for some Father’s Day recipes from chefs & their dads, coming soon!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Liquid in Drip Pan?

Does anyone put anything in their drip pan for a pork butt?  I always do on my offset stick burner, but I'd like some opinions from the experts.
Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

·

Comments

• henapplehenapple Posts: 14,274
    I put water or coke... Maybe not needed but it can't hurt.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Nothing!
    ·
  • TEggSunTEggSun Posts: 214
    I'm just concerned it might inhibit a good bark.  I'm guessing these things turn out much more moist on the Egg than they do on a conventional smoker.  The last thing I want is a pasty bark.

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,303
    The liquid is a method that stickburner and weber guys cling to. Totally unnecessary in a ceramic cooker. Eggs are like...using a three wood off the tee...cheating

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    I loved my three wood "off the tee" before i found out about cooking on an egg!  I would much rather be cooking than golfing!!
    ·
  • bud812bud812 Posts: 1,408
    I use my three wood off the tee. Guess I'm a cheatin sob. >:)

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

·
  • I've tried it for ribs and am always disappointed in the bark (or lack thereof).
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,274
    The liquid is a method that stickburner and weber guys cling to. Totally unnecessary in a ceramic cooker. Eggs are like...using a three wood off the tee...cheating
    you're an idiot...see ya Tuesday...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,276
    Just salt
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • TEggSunTEggSun Posts: 214
    How does the salt help, Mickey?

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,303
    henapple said:
    you're an idiot...see ya Tuesday

Why yes, yes I am.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • hondabbqhondabbq Posts: 1,180
    If you use a 3 wood off the tee regulary, that just means you cant hit a driver.

Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Sledder, Quadder, Rock and Roller, Big Green Egg Smoker.

·
  • dpittarddpittard Posts: 126
    As long as I have an air gap in between my drip pan and plate setter, I don't use any liquids.  I'm of the camp that, in the Egg at least, the extra moisture would prevent proper bark formation.  Of course, I like my bark on the crunchier side.

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
    ·

I used to always have some type of liquid in my pan, but never seemed to make much difference, and the pros here claim the only good it does is help stabilize the temperature within the egg.  Thinking back at my "water cooker" days, i don't think the water effects the bark, because we always had huge water pans under the grills and always had TOO MUCH bark...  I think the evaporization of the drippings adds flavor to the product, and doesn't give it a bitter taste?? My opinion...

·
  • mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,731
    I dont use a liquid..i used to..didnt see any change.  Same with spraying juice on the meat during the cook
    ·