Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small egg owners why the small and do you also have another size egg?

Bonar
Bonar Posts: 28
I have a large egg and like it. Would like to have a second egg to have other small items cooking at another temp. Was thinking the small would fit the bill and save on coals when large not needed. I currently use a weber Smokey Joe for small cooks, but messy cleanup compared to egg. I really enjoy the self cleaning aspect of the eggs. Your thoughts and advise most welcome.

Comments

• Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    You answered your own question!!!
    Get a small, you won't regret it. I have a large and a small, tried to buy a mini tonight
  • I have an XL, small & mini. I use the small & mini when away from home because they're easy to transport. At home, I use mostly the small to compliment my workhorse, the XL. Don't think the mini is just a cute toy. It has better performance than any other egg I have and gets plenty of use.
    Flint, Michigan
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Depends on how many you want to cook for and whether you intend to travel much with it.

Get the small if you can lift about 70 lbs (I think), cooking for more than 4 or so people regularly, plan on doing a lot of lo n slo.

Get the mini if you need a lighter more portable egg, do more grilling, cook for 2 -4 people, or just want @Mickey to like you :)

Others will join in with more info.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Why a small.....cause it fit on the back porch and just two us. Small shares porch with mini (easier to pick up and take on trips). Large and SS table on lower patio for big cooks.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I have a large and small as well.  Just as you suggested- I got the small to have some extra cooking space and I wanted it for camping/tailgating.  It is not quite as portable as I thought it would be, but it's not too bad.   

Just my $.02, but I wouldn't let lump usage factor into the decision too much.  It's a nice added bonus if you want a small anyway; but the difference in usage is not that great.  Considering a small will run you $500 or so- it would take a lifetime of cooking to make up the difference in lump savings.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I have large and just recently got a mini but I have two buddies and each only have a small. Both married. It's just enough room for everything they need without being overkill.
    Boom
  • Started with a large, and then added a small--use the small for secondary cooks at home (appetizers while something else on large) and mainly to take on the road--tailgating, eggfests, etc.  Specifically picked the small because of weight/portability--felt medium would be too much to travel with.

• UrbanEgg
    UrbanEgg Posts: 36
    edited June 2013
    Have you considered a medium? I don't have a small, but have the medium which seems to be a real oddball in the group.  

It's just the two of us so it works well.  The problem arises when you want to start grilling veggies or sides along with your main cook.  Your options become limited when you begin entertaining a few guests.  But it's big enough to fit my smoked fish contraption or compliment a cook with an additional egg.

I do have a large as well.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Why?:  It is the perfect size to cook just about anything for my wife and I and it is still small enough to take camping and tailgating.

Other Eggs:  Two large and a mini.  The larges have pretty much become my "smokers and bakers".  The mini is just plain fun to cook on, but I find the extra real estate of the small nice when cooking for two or more.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    The medium is the red headed step child. Steer clear. Ha jk, but it's an oddball.

I have a large and small. Got my small about a year after my large. I use my small two to three times more than my large. Big momma is set up just for the big show, having company over, or doing a long low and slow. I'm not comfortable putting the small over 4 hours right now.

I use my small 3-4 times a week on a good week, haven't egg'd much lately been crazy busy around my place.

I can comfortably move the small around, yes @caliking I believe it is 75 lbs. I went to get mine and the dealer had a mini and small on hold. I personally wanted the few inches more of real estate but would love the mini if I was only cooking for myself or traveling more than I do.

The small is perfect for tailgating and camping. Hoping to get some use out of that this fall.

I'd have no problem with a medium if you were never gonna move it, and didn't want any accessories, and also you can get a large for almost the same price if you shop around or at least 100$ more. I'm not rich, but what's a hundred dollars when your buying a 700$ grill that will last a lifetime.

XLBGE 
  • Bonar
    Thank you all for your input, I think I will stay on course and secure a small egg for my home station and deployments.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Last time I looked, the small was 60 pounds.  Whatever, it's portable if that enters into your plans.  But let me quote my good friend Nature Boy on choosing between a mini and a small as a companion cooker:

"The mini is cool. Very cool. You can sear the pants off anything. And you can pick it up and run with it. Well, not until it's cooled down :-) Anyways, the small is of another world. Surprisingly long burn on a load of charcoal, and it don't sear too bad itself. Plus you can put a dutch oven on it, or set it up indirect and roll a rack of ribs. You can hang a small drip pan on the fire ring, and set up 2 tiers for doing chicken or whatever. It's really a lot like your large, only smaller. If you want something to run around with, and throw in the trunk on a whim, and you want to put a mean 45 second sear on an elk steak....then get the mini. If you want a versatile cooker to compliment your large, get the small."
    The Naked Whiz
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    I have a large and a small.  I use my small just as you stated for smaller cooks and sides.  Plus I can travel easy with my small for camping and such. My next egg will be an XL to go with my large.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Large and small but use the small most of the time.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665

I have a large and a small.  I use my small just as you stated for smaller cooks and sides.  Plus I can travel easy with my small for camping and such. My next egg will be an XL to go with my large.

Word

XLBGE 
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited June 2013
    The small has the classic shape and performance of the larger eggs.  It will run overnight doing a low and slow just like the larger eggs.  It will sear.  Great little grill.

I have an XL to go with it.  It's a great combo.  I use the XL about 3-4 times a month, and the small will be used 3-4 times a week. Yeah, sometime the XL is too big for what I am cooking, but I don't care.  I rather have the extra room and not need it.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited June 2013

Word
    Street cred bonus points right there!
    Flint, Michigan
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    have a large and small and use the small for 1 rack of ribs or meatloaf etc....would not part with either one of them....picked up the small of Clist for a good price....

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Cowdogs said:
    The small has the classic shape and performance of the larger eggs.  It will run overnight doing a low and slow just like the larger eggs.  It will sear.  Great little grill.

I have an XL to go with it.  It's a great combo.  I use the XL about 3-4 times a month, and the small will be used 3-4 times a week. Yeah, sometime the XL is too big for what I am cooking, but I don't care.  I rather have the extra room and not need it.
    Also, the small is capable of doing 2 butts overnight if you apply yourself.  Old Dave used to show people how.  I wish he had let me use his photos.  It was pretty cool.

The Naked Whiz
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Have large, small and mini. Love the mini for speed, capability and travel while I used small for larger quantity cooks to support the large.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Bonar
    Just got a small today to go with my large, so looking forward to small cooks and burning less fuel.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

Word
    Street cred bonus points right there!
    Actually... Negative street cred points. The 80's called... They want their lingo back. :))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I have a small for two people.  I live in the city in an apartment so I need something portable.  You wouldn't believe all I have gotten on the small.  For two people it's great, but since you have the large, no worries if you have more than that.  Get it!  Won't regret it!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    My first Egg was a small. Then a Large and a Mini. From that point I just never used the Small and I sold it.  Lots of years later I still think I  did the correct thing....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I have an XL, small & mini. I use the small & mini when away from home because they're easy to transport. At home, I use mostly the small to compliment my workhorse, the XL. Don't think the mini is just a cute toy. It has better performance than any other egg I have and gets plenty of use.

UPDATE - Since I posted this in June, I have bought the 2-Tier Swing Rack for my small.  What a great eggcessory!  It expands the capabilities of the small and suddenly, the small doesn't seem so small.  I posted this photo a couple of weeks ago from the maiden voyage of my new swing rack. 

Flint, Michigan
  • Bonar
    wow where did you get the swing rack for the small?
  • www.ceramicgrillworks.com - Franco is a nice guy he can answer any questions you have.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Large and a small, love the combo, small is portable enough that we can take it camping, tailgating, even to work for a Saturday BBQ with the guys. You will love, don't wait.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    XL and medium here.  Two steps down seems to be a popular second egg choice. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.