Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Questions for First Pizza Cook on Baking Steel

The tools that I have:  Medium BGE, WOO 2, 13 1/2 in Baking Steel, Plate Setter, Standard Grid.  The questions I have:  1.  What type of setup should I use with the aformentioned tools?  What temp should I use to cook the pizza?  3.  I like a crust about the thickness of a pizza hut pan crust, how do I attain a crust with this thickness? 4.  How long will this cook take?  Any help as always is extremely appreciated.  For those wondering, I will be making a pizza that is 1/2 pepperoni, and 1/2 Canadian Bacon and pineapple.
Persistence and determination are omnipotent!

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    I don't have the baking steel but I use a baking stone. I try to get my stone as high in the dome as possible and go at around 500 or so dome temp. Takes 8-10 minutes for me. I've read where others rotate the pie during the cook due to hot spots... i have not seemed to have that issue.

Hope it turns out well for you!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    1. I use plate setter up with stone (or your case steel) on the grid.  I let the stone heat up with the egg.
    2. I like around 600 or so (sometimes 650)
    3. I am not sure about this.  I always use the Publix dough and it is more similar to a Papa Johns regular crust.  I think @griffen has done some pan crust before.
    4. I don't like to time it...as long as it takes to get the kind of doneness you perfer.  I am usually 5 - 6 mins.
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Firemedic183
    Firemedic183 Posts: 197
    Thank you for the advise!  I hope that it turns out semi decent.  I will post pics later.  
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Pan pizza is what I was shooting for too and I burnt the bottom before the top was done using the steel but I had no heat deflector under the steel as it was a afterthought at the end of a cook just to try it out. Hopefully you have better luck.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Pan pizza is what I was shooting for too and I burnt the bottom before the top was done using the steel but I had no heat deflector under the steel as it was a afterthought at the end of a cook just to try it out. Hopefully you have better luck.
    Also try getting the pie high up in the dome.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I've been keeping an eye out for threads pertaining to the baking steel. I didn't buy one because, admittedly, I was skeptical. It seems that there haven't been a ton of posts about them. The few that I've seen have talked a out burnt crusts and undercooked toppings. Is it because there is a learning curve? What is the consensus? I know learning to cook pizzas on my baking stones on the egg took me a long time to get it right.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Firemedic183
    I've been keeping an eye out for threads pertaining to the baking steel. I didn't buy one because, admittedly, I was skeptical. It seems that there haven't been a ton of posts about them. The few that I've seen have talked a out burnt crusts and undercooked toppings. Is it because there is a learning curve? What is the consensus? I know learning to cook pizzas on my baking stones on the egg took me a long time to get it right.
    I made cinnamon rolls a couple of weeks ago on my Baking steel, and while it performed perfectly, I had to keep a VERY close eye on them.  I will be keeping a very close eye on the pizza tonight too!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @cortguitarman,

There is definitely a learning curve. I burnt my first bottom due to me trying to cook it like I was using the stone. Second was perfect. Hopefully the next round will be more consistent.
  • Firemedic183
    @cortguitarman,

There is definitely a learning curve. I burnt my first bottom due to me trying to cook it like I was using the stone. Second was perfect. Hopefully the next round will be more consistent.
    So....How did you cook it, so I can learn from your previous mistakes??
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    It may have been the dough, as I didn't do my normal cold-rise dough. I cobbled together a Williams Sonoma recipe. I had the PS, grid, medium PS, feet, and BS. The dome temp was 650 for 30 minutes before the first pie. I watched the top and it looked perfect after 4 minutes, but the bottom ended up blackened(only the surface, it would flake off and the rest was fine). The secind one went at 550 for the same time and was perfectly cooked. Not the best, but I attribute that to the dough. I will have to mix up the dough tonight for Saturday. I'll follow up with those.
  • Firemedic183
    So it begins....I just lit the egg.  I am going to use the plate setter with legs down, 3 rolled balls of tinfoil, the stainless steel grid, and then the baking steel on top.  Wish me luck.  I am going to cook at 575 dome.  
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Well...how did it go?  Pics?
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Firemedic183