Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Daisy wheel....

Options
Anyone with some good tips on keeping your daisy wheel looking good??? It's only been a couple months for me and mine is starting to look cruddy...

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Spray pam on it and put it in a hot egg to restore it.  

Each time you are finished cooking, put the daisy in the egg and use the ceramic cap on top.  This is all you need to do to keep it in good shape.  If you forget and leave it in the rain...repeat step 1. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    Options
    I had the same issue and learned on this forum to place it inside right after you are finished and let the remaining heat burn off the crud. It will take a couple of cooks, but you'll get there.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Leave "the crud" on it -- that's grease and it help hold the Daisey Wheel in place when you open the dome.  Factory designed :))
  • SensFan
    SensFan Posts: 41
    Options
    That makes to much sense....thanks my friends!!!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I tried placing mine in the egg... Even in the coals. Eventually used oven cleaner and pressure washer with my grills... Oiled and like new.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Filbert
    Filbert Posts: 21
    Options
    I was told to season it like you would any cast iron...
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Don't use it. I don't.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Don't use it. I don't.
    Neither do I. Except for lo n slo butt cooks with the Guru. And I'm not sure it's needed even for those. I control temp quite well without the DFMT. Bottom vent only.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    You guys have the top wide open? And just adjust with the bottom vent?
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    You guys have the top wide open? And just adjust with the bottom vent?
    My question exactly.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Mickey
    Options
    Yes
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I have been totally over-thinking the top vent obviously.   
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Mickey
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Three Eggs no top vents ever. Except ceramic.

• hondabbq
    Options
    Well Im doing a couple of pork butts and some beef ribs tonight and tomorrow. Ill give it a shot.
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    I do just the opposite -- on my cooks in the 350 degree "nieghborhood" my bottom vent stays wide open and i control with the top vent. 
  • biznork
    biznork Posts: 112
    Options
    I've gotten where I leave the daisy wheel off because I got tired of cleaning black gunk off the sides of my egg. I'm convinced it's not needed except for low and slow cooks. 
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Options

Get you one of these from Eggware and you will never have to worry about it again.

• Mickey
    Options
    I do just the opposite -- on my cooks in the 350 degree "nieghborhood" my bottom vent stays wide open and i control with the top vent. 

It all works brother. I just don't see the need to mess with two controls. I am in the "pick one" and get a beer club.

• Charlie tuna
    Options
    I am the worst, when it comes to reading directions on anything i buy!!  Maybe(?) ill glance at them while i am stuffing this darn thing back in the box to return it to the store???  With the egg, i was no different --tinkered and tinkered, and i think i just got used to controlling the air this way and it works for me.  Your method works for you!!!  And then there are people who dabble with both the top and bottom vents????  Right now,  i know what to expect from my egg and don't want to "upset the apple cart"....  
  • hondabbq
    Options
    Well I tried the no daisy wheel method I am at a hour trying to stabilize it. Top is wide open, bottom vent is open a hairs width. And I am at 300 and cant get it down. Sorry but doesn't seem to work for me. Back to the old style. Cant say I didn't try.
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    I put my Daisy Wheel inside the BGE at the end of a long cook. That cleaned the grease and gunk off. I disassembled it, cleaned it up and painted it with high temp black grill paint. No more rust and looks brand new. I have since replaced it with an Eggware cap.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Mickey
    Options
    Sometimes you sandblast it. I should have cleaned it better before I stopped using it. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos