Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Look what I found

Options
Check out this baseball sized rock I found in the egg tonight. I guess that's what happens when you just dump the RO straight in.

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Understand that ALL lump is "cooked" in a big a$$ kiln which is insulated or lined with brick.  During the cooking of the lump, sometimes this insulation breaks off and falls into the lump..  It is natuaral to find strange "things" in your ash....
  • freddyj
    freddyj Posts: 129
    Options
    It's not a rock, its ash. Break it up and see.
    Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    My, that's a big one.....Dirty Harry

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    freddyj said:

It's not a rock, its ash. Break it up and see.

No, it's a rock...

• Charlie tuna
    Options
    Very true, a piece of the insulating surface of the kiln, similar to a chip or piece of a brick!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'm going out on a limb and assume @Boileregger knows what a rock is... It's in his freaking hand.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    Nice rock dude. Think of how much lump you got cheated out of when you consider how much more dense the rock is than good lump.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • HoosierEgg71
    Options
    I found 3 chunks of rock just like that in my last bag of RO. It didn't look like brick though, it didn't have any flat parts.
  • _BR_
    _BR_ Posts: 42
    Options
    I found a rock @ that size and a piece of insulation in a bag of BGE lump.  The dealer told me they do that to make the bag weigh if it is close. What a bunch of BS!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Dude that is a diamond in the makin!! Sit on that thang for 24 weeks and you be loaded :D

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    For many years i operated a charcoal weber, never found a rock in the bottom!!  And for many other years imy gasser operated with not a mention of a rock in it!!!  That being said, i'll accept a few rocks here and there, for my finished product!!  I'll just chalk it up to using "lump charcoal".
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Over the last 5 years or so I have been throwing all my lump rocks on the side of the same hill. There's gotta be 50-100 by now. Very common but probably only 1-2 a year that size. I do go through multiple hundreds of pounds of lump per year though.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Its like Cracker Jack... there's always a surpise inside! I got used to finding little rocks, kiln lining, etc when I first used RO for my tandoor. Never found any rocks that big though.  Haven't used it in a long time, but i have a few bags now from the recent Wal-mart sale. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.