Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

foggy thermometer

Okay, I know this has been on here before, but I'm cooking now and just realized my on-dome thermometer is fully fogged with condensation. Been really humid here in N. ATL and I need suggestions as how to dry it out.
It's always had a little in there, but it is really full now. Thanks in advance.

·

Comments

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,043
    Apparently, you can drill a small hole in the bottom and it will help keep it clear. Otherwise, take it into the A/C so it can dry out.
    ·
  • CAT SellerCAT Seller Posts: 205
    I have the same problem. I read online to put it the fridge for 24 hrs. Did that, and the moisture returned days later.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,276
    Medium? If not just cook.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,725

My original BGE thermometer was always fogged up.  I finally decided to buy a Tel-Tru -- made no difference, that one is always fogged as well.  I plan to do the drill trick on it this weekend.  My understanding is you drill the hole along the rim at 6:00 o'clock.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,821
    edited June 2013
    Try placing the item in the back window of a very hot car.  Have done this twice with cell phones that fell into the pool, battery removed and a few thermometers.  Check 24 hours later.  Some say place in dry rice for 24 hours?
    ·
    @Richard Fl, and the moisture does not return? Even with the weather that we have been having the last couple of days?
    ·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,821
    @Richard Fl, and the moisture does not return? Even with the weather that we have been having the last couple of days?

Don't know where you live, but I have never had to revisit the issue.  Course I keep my lady friend away from the pool with her cell. 

·
    @Richard, Saint Augustine here and we have been experiencing Andrea the last couple of days-lots of rain. Thought by your handle name, you were in the state as well.
    ·
  • pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 1,335
    Put it in a ziplock bag with uncooked rice.
    ·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,551

Here is a link to an old post where I posted a picture of where I drilled my thermometer. It doesn't get cloudy anymore and works fine.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1250427#Comment_1250427

·