Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

foggy thermometer

Okay, I know this has been on here before, but I'm cooking now and just realized my on-dome thermometer is fully fogged with condensation. Been really humid here in N. ATL and I need suggestions as how to dry it out.
It's always had a little in there, but it is really full now. Thanks in advance.

·

Comments

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,416
    Apparently, you can drill a small hole in the bottom and it will help keep it clear. Otherwise, take it into the A/C so it can dry out.
    ·
  • CAT SellerCAT Seller Posts: 205
    I have the same problem. I read online to put it the fridge for 24 hrs. Did that, and the moisture returned days later.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352
    Medium? If not just cook.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,785

My original BGE thermometer was always fogged up.  I finally decided to buy a Tel-Tru -- made no difference, that one is always fogged as well.  I plan to do the drill trick on it this weekend.  My understanding is you drill the hole along the rim at 6:00 o'clock.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,878
    edited June 2013
    Try placing the item in the back window of a very hot car.  Have done this twice with cell phones that fell into the pool, battery removed and a few thermometers.  Check 24 hours later.  Some say place in dry rice for 24 hours?
    ·
    @Richard Fl, and the moisture does not return? Even with the weather that we have been having the last couple of days?
    ·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,878
    @Richard Fl, and the moisture does not return? Even with the weather that we have been having the last couple of days?

Don't know where you live, but I have never had to revisit the issue.  Course I keep my lady friend away from the pool with her cell. 

·
    @Richard, Saint Augustine here and we have been experiencing Andrea the last couple of days-lots of rain. Thought by your handle name, you were in the state as well.
    ·
  • pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 1,825
    Put it in a ziplock bag with uncooked rice.
    ·
  • LitLit Posts: 4,026

Here is a link to an old post where I posted a picture of where I drilled my thermometer. It doesn't get cloudy anymore and works fine.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1250427#Comment_1250427

·