Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Daisy wheel....

Anyone with some good tips on keeping your daisy wheel looking good??? It's only been a couple months for me and mine is starting to look cruddy...
·

Comments

• SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,362
    Spray pam on it and put it in a hot egg to restore it.  

Each time you are finished cooking, put the daisy in the egg and use the ceramic cap on top.  This is all you need to do to keep it in good shape.  If you forget and leave it in the rain...repeat step 1. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • JscottJscott Posts: 174
    I had the same issue and learned on this forum to place it inside right after you are finished and let the remaining heat burn off the crud. It will take a couple of cooks, but you'll get there.
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Leave "the crud" on it -- that's grease and it help hold the Daisey Wheel in place when you open the dome.  Factory designed :))
    ·
  • SensFanSensFan Posts: 41
    That makes to much sense....thanks my friends!!!
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,242
    I tried placing mine in the egg... Even in the coals. Eventually used oven cleaner and pressure washer with my grills... Oiled and like new.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • FilbertFilbert Posts: 20
    I was told to season it like you would any cast iron...
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,269
    Don't use it. I don't.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,186
    Mickey said:
    Don't use it. I don't.
    Neither do I. Except for lo n slo butt cooks with the Guru. And I'm not sure it's needed even for those. I control temp quite well without the DFMT. Bottom vent only.
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
    ·
  • hondabbqhondabbq Posts: 1,171
    You guys have the top wide open? And just adjust with the bottom vent?

Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Sledder, Quadder, Rock and Roller, Big Green Egg Smoker.

·
  • mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,731
    Get rid of it.  Get a eggware cap.
    ·
  • ThatgrimguyThatgrimguy Posts: 964
    hondabbq said:
    You guys have the top wide open? And just adjust with the bottom vent?
    My question exactly.
    Biloxi, MS
    XL / Small

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt
    ·
    Yes
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·

·
  • ThatgrimguyThatgrimguy Posts: 964
    I have been totally over-thinking the top vent obviously.   
    Biloxi, MS
    XL / Small

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt
    ·
    edited June 2013
    Three Eggs no top vents ever. Except ceramic.

·
    Well Im doing a couple of pork butts and some beef ribs tonight and tomorrow. Ill give it a shot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba.

·
    I do just the opposite -- on my cooks in the 350 degree "nieghborhood" my bottom vent stays wide open and i control with the top vent. 
    ·
  • biznorkbiznork Posts: 112
    I've gotten where I leave the daisy wheel off because I got tired of cleaning black gunk off the sides of my egg. I'm convinced it's not needed except for low and slow cooks. 
    ·
  • Plano_JJPlano_JJ Posts: 448

Get you one of these from Eggware and you will never have to worry about it again.

IMG_7622.JPG 291.4K
    ·
    I do just the opposite -- on my cooks in the 350 degree "nieghborhood" my bottom vent stays wide open and i control with the top vent. 

It all works brother. I just don't see the need to mess with two controls. I am in the "pick one" and get a beer club.

·
    I am the worst, when it comes to reading directions on anything i buy!!  Maybe(?) ill glance at them while i am stuffing this darn thing back in the box to return it to the store???  With the egg, i was no different --tinkered and tinkered, and i think i just got used to controlling the air this way and it works for me.  Your method works for you!!!  And then there are people who dabble with both the top and bottom vents????  Right now,  i know what to expect from my egg and don't want to "upset the apple cart"....  
    ·
    Well I tried the no daisy wheel method I am at a hour trying to stabilize it. Top is wide open, bottom vent is open a hairs width. And I am at 300 and cant get it down. Sorry but doesn't seem to work for me. Back to the old style. Cant say I didn't try.

Winnipeg, Manitoba.

·
  • egger aveegger ave Posts: 580
    I put my Daisy Wheel inside the BGE at the end of a long cook. That cleaned the grease and gunk off. I disassembled it, cleaned it up and painted it with high temp black grill paint. No more rust and looks brand new. I have since replaced it with an Eggware cap.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 4 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. "Friends don't let friends cook with propane"
    ·
    Sometimes you sandblast it. I should have cleaned it better before I stopped using it. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

·