Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Spatchcocked Chicken Experiment

OK, So I've only had the Egg for 5 days and am still a fledgling.  I am typically a Beer Butt guy but thought that I would give this a try. I brined the chicken during the day (not sure if that is really necessary) then lightly seasoned.  Cooked skin down (about 325ish) for 20 min, flipped and gave it another 40 min (How easy was that?). It was to die for tender -   Also threw on some oiled up veggies.  I'm still waiting for the novelty of the Egg to wear off but I think that I'm hooked.
Milton, GA.

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795

"I'm still waiting for the novelty of the Egg to wear off but I think that I'm hooked."

You have seen the light. 

Welcome aboard.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• blueinatl
    blueinatl Posts: 94
    Good looking chicken.  Is that eggplant?  How did you do it (just oil or any seasoning), it looks good!
    Peachtree Corners, GA. Large BGE
  • Looks good, very nice cook.
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665

The veggies are eggplant and squash.  I cut the eggplant, salted both sides then put between paper towels for about an hour.  Rinsed off then seasoned with olive oil and some garlic salt and pepper - The squash was just seasoned the same way.  Easy to cook. low cal and the family loves it.  The beer I had while cooking is another story from the low cal point.

Milton, GA.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    You are "on your way"!!!  Great looking chicken and cooking the sides is a big plus -- brining is an important thing with chicken  ---   spatchcocked chicken for two years before i tried brining -- major difference!!  Nice job,  thanks for posting!
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Great looking cook and enjoy the egg ride.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I cut the squash length wise.  Fewer pieces to flip and less chance of sending one to visit the charcoal. ;)

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • flynnbob
    Thanks for the squash tip Rag.  I had to rescue a few from a fiery demise. Charlie, I will keep on brining in your honor.
    Milton, GA.
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Try it raised direct sometime,I didn't flip it at all and it turned out great !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Indirect, veggies cut big placed in a pan underneath the chicken.. A little broth
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Charlie tuna
    flynnbob said:
    Thanks for the squash tip Rag.  I had to rescue a few from a fiery demise. Charlie, I will keep on brining in your honor.

I used to inject my chickens, then i brined one!  The difference was major, it seems to bring the juices out of the chicken.  As i leave the table, the first thing i had to do is wash my hands??  I usually eat a wing, leg , thigh!!  Much more taste in my opinion....

• what brine recipe did you use?

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

• CharlieTN
    CharlieTN Posts: 177
    Looks good.  Next time give it a try with raised direct.  Gets the skin up into the dome more and it'll come out nice and crispy that way as well.  I set my bird out (all flattened out) in the fridge uncovered for 24 hours prior to cooking.  It was so good my wife made us do it again just a couple of days later. 
  • Charlie tuna
    The brine i use is a product that i buy for "Broasting" chicken, it is called "chickite".  Broasting is a method of "pressure frying" chicken at 375 degrees.  It's what made KFC famous....  The chickite is a product of "Broaster Inc." which the chicken is brined in for at least six hours. 
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Now that I have my new grid extender, just showed up in today's mail, I am panting to do a spatchcock with it.  I have always done it raised, with a drip pan.  This setup is gonna be perfect!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • flynnbob
    I used 6 cups of water, 1/2 cup salt and 1/2 cup sugar along with about 10 or so garlic cloves crushed. Brined it in a Ziplock  and put it in the fridge for about 8 hrs.  The photo is after I poured it into the bowl. CharlieTN, I also heard that if you let the bird sit uncovered in the fridge, it will make the skin crispier. Thanks for the tip. Charlie tuna - I did a few burgers with the squash cut lengthwise tonight along with a few asparagus.  My wife was going to steam some asparagus but after I gave her a few off the Egg she changed her mind - Ate it like candy - The steamer may have its days numbered. Of course, my teen ate everything with pleasure. It's all good.
    Milton, GA.
  • SaturdayFatterday
    SaturdayFatterday Posts: 468
    edited June 2013
    Good looking cook!  +1 on uncovered in the fridge beforehand and for doing raised direct.  Haven't done @henapple's "broth" method yet, but I think I'll have to do it next time.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Good job!
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    henapple said:
    Indirect, veggies cut big placed in a pan underneath the chicken.. A little broth

I have done this once and it was awesome!! Works real good with a turkey breast too

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.