Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does size of egg matter?

Options
JimE
JimE Posts: 158
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does the size of the egg effect the way it cooks. The only reason I haven't bought my first egg is because i can't decide what size to buy. I debating buying the Large or Extra Large. Has anyone experimented with different size eggs and discovered any differences in how they perform related to the size of the egg?[p]Thanks for any information you can provide.

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Jim,
    We have a mini, a small, and a large. Apart from the available cooking area, and the fact that the mini is superior for searing, the only distinction we've seen is in what needs be done to the mini and small to facilitate low and slow cooking.[p]Ken

• JimE
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]So cooking times and the quality of the end product are the same? I currently have a charcoal/wood smoker that holdst 16 slabs of ribs. How many slabs do you fit on your large egg?[p]Jim
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Jim, it used to be that people always said "buy the large". Now that the XL is available there may be more debate as to whether a large or x-large is the better choice. Personally I think the large is still a nice size. It can cook up to 40 pounds of pulled pork (can squeeze 50# on with a bit of trouble), can do a large turkey or three chickens at a time. The x-large can obvious cook more but I think you need to ask how often do you need more? I don't think you will be disappointed with the large but I also think you would not be disappointed with the X-large. Besides, having a large and an x-large is not a bad eventual combination.

• EddieMac
    Options
    Jim,[p]The more time you spend trying to decide WHICH size to buy, the more time you waste NOT eating incredible offerings from the BGE!!!! Just take the plunge and buy one!![p]These things are kind of like the dog I own.....I own a Bull Terrier (Spuds MacKenzie, Patton, Target dog)....and she's 65lbs. of steel.....now they do have Miniature Bull Terriers....with the same attributes....but at 6'7 and 300lbs....I say why get the Mini.....when the Maxi will do just fine!![p]Buy one, start cooking and regale us with your accomplishments!!![p]eddiemac
    Port St. Lucie, FL (Ft. Pierce, FL in three weeks)

• SmokingInMO
    Options
    Jim,[p]I like the size and the way my large cooks but have no experience with an XL, I do plan to purchase a medium though for the portability factor to go along with my large. I don't see any problems with space being an issue with the large unless you will be cooking for tons of people. I have talked to several people I know with eggs and pretty much everyone thinks that a large/medium combo is the best way to go.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Jim, ask Chef Wil. I think he holds the record. It was something ungodly like 24 or so. By cooking vertically, a normal human can easily get 12 or so on the large.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    20racks.jpg
    <p />Wise One,
    Here's the photo!

The Naked Whiz
  • JimE
    Options
    eddiemac,[p]Just left the store with the XL egg. I'll be eatin' good tonight![p]Jim
  • Jim,
    I finally got my XL that I had been waiting for since March. It holds temp great and can cook alot. I am going to make a grid like The Naked Whiz has and multi-stack cook for bigger gatherings. I will probably get another egg later for small hot sears. The XL is great on low and slow. Have not tried hot sear yet; I understand from Dr. Bbq that it will be a challenge to get to the 800' steaks!!
    The XL is really versatile and can do anything the other BGE's can do' just more of it when you want.[p]Ralh Chambers

• Ryan
    Ryan Posts: 243
    Options
    I had my large for a little over two years. I sold it and bought an XL the day it came out. Except for some hinge issues, I'm very happy with my XL. It's so nice to have the extra room when I'm entertaining...

Ryan
  • JimE
    Options
    db;R,[p]I purchased the XL. First thing I made was steaks. Had no trouble getting it up to 800[p]They were great![p]Jim[p]

• BlueSmoke,
    What needs to be done to a small and mini to facilitate low and slow cooking? (deciding between a medium and small)
    thanks