Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL BGE--smoking a turkey

dblR
dblR Posts: 75
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When setting up and cooking do I just use drip pan and v-rack; or use with place setter also? What temp do you advise? Going to put 3 handfuls pecan chips for smoke. Is that plenty? Does anyone use cheesecloth? What are people refering to about tenting with foil? I just appreciate the help of the forum. See you at Eggtoberfest!!

Comments

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    dblR,[p]three handfulls of chips is way too much in my opinion. I would go with half a handful but it depends on the size of your mitts. You are just trying to add a little flavor.[p]cheese cloth and foil are used to keep the bird from overbrowning, I don't think you will have that problem.[p]set up indirect with a drip pan filled with water, apple wedges, lemon slices.[p]best tip i can offer is based on mad max's idea. the breast meat always gets done before the dark no matter what i try. my next bird I will light the egg with a full load of once burned lump to reduce the smoke(i'm really trying to warn you about the smoke thing). Fill your sink with hot water about 4 inches as a guess put the bird in the sink breast up. Take a large bag of crushed ice and put that on the breast. This should generate enough temp variation to get done just about perfect. try not to get the skin on the breast wet so that it browns nice.

• eggor
    probably should have added... leave it in the sink for about half an hour and put on the egg over the drip pan.[p]I understand the XL is kind of short so you may want to figure out how to rig this all up[p]Chef Arnoldi figured out these easy to make brackets that may give you some ideas. Another way would be to cut a few pieces of steel and put between the firebox and fire ring to set a pizzza stone on.[p]Scott

[ul][li]chef arnoldi's solution[/ul]
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    dblR,
    Here is a link to Mad Max's turkey recipe at the Naked Whiz site. Please note the ice bag on the breast if very important but I would never put the turkey in hot. IMHO[p]Good luck.
    New Bob

[ul][li]Mad Max's Turkey Recipe[/ul]
  • eggor
    New Bob,[p]by submerging the dark meat in hot tap water(not boiling hot) you are allowing the temp to rise in the dark meat by as much as 10 to 15 degrees. If you leave it on the counter the dark meat will not change in temp at all or at best a degree or two. Since the safe range for meat is 4 hours below 140, and you take half an hour to let the ice chill the breast, then maybe another fifteen to thirty minutes to prep the bird, that only leaves 3 hours to get the bird to go from 40 degrees to 140. A twenty pound bird will be done in about 4 hours, so you are really pushing safety issues by leaving it sit on the counter that long. The hot water does not affect the texture or flavor, so i don't see anything wrong doing it.jmo[p]Scott

• dblR
    New Bob,
    Thank you for your help. I have found the joy of egging and love all of the different ways to egg. Love the life style.
    Ralph

• dblR
    eggor,
    Thank you for your help. It is a great feeling knowing that I can get eggcellent advice from my elder eggers. Hope to meet you at Eggtoberfest!![p]Ralph

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    eggor,
    I just don't see the need for the hot water as the ice alone should do as Mad Max says. Just my preference as I don't ever put meat in hot water.
    Regards,
    New Bob