Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My butts came out good. :-)

Options
CharlieTN
CharlieTN Posts: 177
Did these a couple of weeks ago.

2 butts - 17lbs total.  Rubbed them down with some grapeseed oil the covered with a mixture of garlic seasoning, moroccan rub, and Bone Sucking Sauce I found at the local Academy (pretty good rub).  Let them sit covered in the fridge for 24 hours this way.

Put them on the grill at 7pm Friday night.  I put them on with the grill still coming up to 250 degrees.  Having the Maverick was a sleep saviour.  Could wake up, look at the receiver, relax and go back to sleep.

It was wild watching them hit the stall right at 170 degrees. Seemed like they stayed at that temp for almost 2 hours then finally began to creep back up.  

Pulled them when the smaller hit 198 and the probe would just move around like butter.  I was a good boy and didn't raise the lid to pick at all the whole time.  That part was hard.

It was so good.  I'm not a big bbq sauce guy so I go light.  Love the taste of the pork itself.

Huge thanks to everyone on here for all of the info.  I really helped me to relax and tackle this long cook.  I would definitely call it a huge success.  Next time I will go for more smoke.  I did put some of the whiskey barrel chips on at the beginning of the cook but they don't last too long. 

Now to tackle a brisket.  :-)

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2013
    Options
    They look great!  Is that mayo on the buns??  I'm not judging or anything...just curious ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Options
    Great looking cook. The maverick is great started using one myself it makes sleeping easier.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    I'll say... that looks great. But, I've got to ask... is that butter on the buns?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Looks great, great job
  • CharlieTN
    CharlieTN Posts: 177
    Options
    Thanks guys, and yep, that is some mayo.  I can't eat a burger or sandwich without some mayo on it.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I will have to try that sometime!  Don't think I have had mayo with pork before. 

I have buttered up a bun and grilled it in a skillet before slapping pork on it.  That was darn good.
    CharlieTN said:
    Thanks guys, and yep, that is some mayo.  I can't eat a burger or sandwich without some mayo on it.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I put mayo on mine too.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Yeah, I'd be okay with the mayo as well. Buttering and toasting the bun would work for me too.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Part of my reason is that I had gastric bypass surgery a few years ago and cannot handle as much sugar as you find in most bbq sauces so I tend to go light on it.  Also like the taste of the meat and the rub as well so don't want to overpower it with tons of sauce.

Thanks for the compliments, I was very tickled with the results for my first time.  I had done pulled pork before in a pressure cooker and while it was good it had no where near the tenderness of this.  The moisture content was over the top as well.