Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where do people from Florida vacation?

Options
GrannyX4
GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
Oklahoma, of course. I have been praying that the tornado madness would stop and everyone would be safe. I guess I didn't pray hard enough but I am glad that it has calmed down some. Hope it stays that way. I don't want my little tush to end up in Kansas !
Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    nobody vacations in Oklahoma. They only visit friends and family :))

Glad you are safe (and to all my friends in OK, and there are many- chill. Just bustin' you a little)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    nobody vacations in Oklahoma. They only visit friends and family :))

Glad you are safe (and to all my friends in OK, and there are many- chill. Just bustin' you a little)
    You are so right. I am going to Woolarock, the Tall Grass Prarie, and Pawhuska. Also going to try to find the "Pig Stand" for some good eats and that will be the extent of the excitement.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Man, did you lose a bet or do you really know people in all those places? I have traveled that state extensively from tip to tail. I can't say that I miss it.
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    I'm just lucky enough to have married an Okie. Oh, and did I mention the Indian dances are this weekend. I will give fried meat pies a try again. It's all more fun than I can handle! ;;)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    GrannyX4 said:
    I'm just lucky enough to have married an Okie. Oh, and did I mention the Indian dances are this weekend. I will give fried meat pies a try again. It's all more fun than I can handle! ;;)
    You are a wonderful, patient, kind woman

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @GrannyX4 - enjoy your time in OK, friends and family can make it great wherever you are. In your case you married into OK travel. Be interesting to find out the real answer to your thread title. When you are from the place where people tend to go on vacation, where do you go? Grass is always greener I guess. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    we rent a beach house out in maine to some florida folks, something to do with bailing out when the hurricanes hit florida
    :))its amazing how many southern plates are up here for the summer months
    @GrannyX4 - enjoy your time in OK, friends and family can make it great wherever you are. In your case you married into OK travel. Be interesting to find out the real answer to your thread title. When you are from the place where people tend to go on vacation, where do you go? Grass is always greener I guess. 

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    You are a wonderful, patient, kind woman

Funny. You don't know me do you?
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    Most Floridians are misplaced yankees and vacation in NY and NJ. We call Florida south Bronx.
    Duncan, SC
  • GrannyX4
    edited June 2013
    Options
    @Skiddymarker and @Fishlessman I like to look for some place that is cooler than Florida with great food. @Mross husband is from Ok and my family moved to Fl from Pa when I was 15 and that was many moons ago. Our children are natives.
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    Granny just messin with ya. I actually have kin in Ada, OK.
    Duncan, SC
  • skellis614
    skellis614 Posts: 75
    Options
    Granny, welcome to Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweeping down the plains at 200 miles an hour.

Your locales are a long way from the pig stand. If you mean Van's Pig Stand, that's good barbecue!
    LBGE, Burgeoning Accessories
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    My coworker spent all last week in South Dakota (my home state) visiting her Mom; continual rain all 6 days (OK storm related).  She did catch a 22" pike, 100 feet from her Mom's house, however...
    If you want a unique vacation, as a floridian, try the ring of national parks in southern utah, the Sonoran desert and Sedona in AZ, or the Grand Canyon.  To experience dry heat, dust, altitude, and no mosquitoes (the occasional 8" spider) will be a refreshing change!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• GrannyX4
    Options
    Granny, welcome to Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweeping down the plains at 200 miles an hour. Your locales are a long way from the pig stand. If you mean Van's Pig Stand, that's good barbecue!

Oops, you're right. I thought it was near Stillwater. And the wind comes sweeping down the plains at 200 mph on a calm day. Moore Ok would have thought it was a slight breeze compared to what they got. ;;)
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    @Botch, we have done the state of Arizona and several national parks. Denali is on my bucket list and a road trip San Francisco north. We did San Francisco south twice. Just need a little more money in our pockets. ;;)
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Botch said:
    My coworker spent all last week in South Dakota (my home state) visiting her Mom; continual rain all 6 days (OK storm related).  She did catch a 22" pike, 100 feet from her Mom's house, however...
    If you want a unique vacation, as a floridian, try the ring of national parks in southern utah, the Sonoran desert and Sedona in AZ, or the Grand Canyon.  To experience dry heat, dust, altitude, and no mosquitoes (the occasional 8" spider) will be a refreshing change!  

now your chirping about my neck of the woods! Only been to OK a few times passing through
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    We vacation in another part of Florida, or just rent a place on the beach 10 minutes away, haha. Just kidding, kind of...
    Dunedin, FL
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Granny, if you happen to take a left turn at the Red River come on down and we will feed ya.   ~O)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    Thanks Joan. Now that would be some good eats. ;;)
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    @Yzzi, st Petersburg beach with the Grands in July.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Hate to admit it but we did a 10 day roadie over CHRISTMAS, yes over CHRISTMAS to Lincoln, NE and back this past yes CHRISTMAS
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    GrannyX4 said:

Nice, that's about an hour away from me. I recommend you stopping at Mazzaro's Italian market for lunch sometime. Great place!
    Dunedin, FL
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    Thanks Yzzi. That looks awesome.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    @GrannyX4... do you have Niagara Falls on your bucket list? It's not the Grand Canyon but it is worth a look if you're ever in the area. There's an eggfest there in early August.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I spent most of my life in Florida. Our vacations were always about going even further south. Anywhere in the Caribbean or Mexico.
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    @Texanofthenorth, did Niagara falls on the way home from Oklahoma one year. But an eggfest does sound enticing. @lit, yep, Caribbean is great and the Caymans are my favorite.
  • Whaler
    Whaler Posts: 110
    Options
    Mross said:
    Most Floridians are misplaced yankees and vacation in NY and NJ. We call Florida south Bronx.
    Not all Floridians are misplaced ! The Real Florida or what is left of it is West of the Suwanee
    River to the Alabama State Line. We'uns be Crackers.
    Pensacola,FL
  • demo
    demo Posts: 163
    Options
    Florida, but I never go any further north than Orlando.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    yzzi said:
    Nice, that's about an hour away from me. I recommend you stopping at Mazzaro's Italian market for lunch sometime. Great place!
    I'd also recommend Cacciatore Brothers on Hanley Road just West of the Tampa airport.  Great meat even better prices.  Not as big as Mazzaro's but still a great place
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I drive 82 miles West and enjoy the beaches of The Gulf Of Mexico, great seafood and fantastic fishing.  Go about twice a month!!