Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ozark Oak Shortage

Placed an order for 100 lbs of Ozark Oak from grillstuff.com last week.  Just received a refund message.  The web site reads: UNAVAILABLE DUE TO MANUFACTURER BACK ORDER. WILL RE-ACTIVATE WHEN BACK IN STOCK AND AVAILABLE. BEGINNING TO MIDDLE OF JULY TIME-FRAME. 

Just a heads-up to you guys.  I know Ozark Oak is the prefered lump to a lot of you.  Stock-up now. 

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I guess I'm sitting on my stash... Sucks to be you.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Hard to believe one PBR swilling man has such an effect on the economy! Atta boy @henapple
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • dpittard
    dpittard Posts: 126
    Time to grab out torches and pitchforks, right?

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
  • henapple
    Seriously... I'm not sure what I'll use.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    If I didn't know about @henapple's bootlegging, I would have thought something was going on... second charcoal company to run out of charcoal within the same time period. What's up with that?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Its LS fault all those eggs he owns :))
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • caliking said:
    If I didn't know about @henapple's bootlegging, I would have thought something was going on... second charcoal company to run out of charcoal within the same time period. What's up with that?
    Maybe the gubment is hoarding this too.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Ironjaw said:
    Check http://www.bbqguys.com/item_name_Ozark-Oak-Hardwood-Lump-Charcoal-10-Lbs_item_466.html

I just ordered from them and it was delivered yesterday.

Brian 

Check out this youtube video from BBQ Guys.  They're dogging the BGE in favor of the Grill Dome. I'll never give those jokers my money.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g7j1vXcZ5V4

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Couldn't open the mobile link on my computer, here's the regular youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7j1vXcZ5V4

1- Why do I care about the color of my grill?
    2- It may come pre-assembled, what kind of quality is the ceramic, I'm more worried about that than the nest, that don't have or probably ever will have.
    3- Did it look like he was slamming the lid of the egg down vs the grilldome?
    4- Something tells me they had a bump in the road with their distributing deal with BGE and now they are going with grilldome. 
    5- Is that the ring/firebox for the dome off to the right? So if that breaks, I have to replace the whole thing? I don't think I like that.

Meh. I made my choice and I stand by it firmly. After speaking with some of the dealers around here when I was buying, they recommended this over anything else. What a bunch of knuckleheads.

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Next thing you know Ozark oak will get pissed and send out an offensive email to @henapple telling him he doesn't know.....ANYTHING about their business
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited June 2013

We have had a really wet spring in the Midwest/Ozarks.  This is the worst time of year to make charcoal, yet it is the time when everyone wants it.

Last year with the record high heat wave (90's in April, 100's in June/July), charcoal production was up, but the sales were down since everyone was hiding inside  Can't win either way.

I'll fill the warehouse over this fall and winter with ten of thousands of bags in preparation.  Guarantees I'm set in St. Louis for spring regardless of the rain/flooding, plus keeps the guys employed over the winter, rather than plant shutting down.

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

How are we going to be able to cook without charcoal this year....

Cookin in Texas
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    thetrim said:

Next thing you know Ozark oak will get pissed and send out an offensive email to @henapple telling him he doesn't know.....ANYTHING about their business

I will sharpen the pitchforks and make sure we have extra torches on hand. Can't be too prepared for when the mob gathers.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Haws72688
    Haws72688 Posts: 41
    Oil the Mangrates!
    Grand Rapids, MI
  • henapple
    Acn said:

thetrim said:

I will sharpen the pitchforks and make sure we have extra torches on hand. Can't be too prepared for when the mob gathers.
    I have a bunch of empty PBR cans to pelt y'all with.
  • lewisj82 said:
    Couldn't open the mobile link on my computer, here's the regular youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7j1vXcZ5V4

1- Why do I care about the color of my grill?
    2- It may come pre-assembled, what kind of quality is the ceramic, I'm more worried about that than the nest, that don't have or probably ever will have.
    3- Did it look like he was slamming the lid of the egg down vs the grilldome?
    4- Something tells me they had a bump in the road with their distributing deal with BGE and now they are going with grilldome. 
    5- Is that the ring/firebox for the dome off to the right? So if that breaks, I have to replace the whole thing? I don't think I like that.

Meh. I made my choice and I stand by it firmly. After speaking with some of the dealers around here when I was buying, they recommended this over anything else. What a bunch of knuckleheads.
    Couldn't agree more.  Those guys are absolute morons. I've herd bad things about the quality of Grill Domes.

Med & XL

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

@henapple IS their business.

The next time my wife asks why I'm hoarding charcoal, I'm going to show her this thread. There's a reason I get tweaked if I have less than 400lbs in the garage.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    This one is even worse:

It is so obvious that the chicken on the egg was cooked much hotter- it's about 7 shades darker.  All he demonstrates by this is that he is not much of a chef :).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    I just ordered 30lbs the tuesday .. I'll let you guys know.
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Mine are in transit from bbq guys.com
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    interesting.  I got similar message from grillstuff except mine said its just cancelled.  Not will be filled later.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I'm still good. Thanks henapple :x
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• rtt121 said:
    interesting.  I got similar message from grillstuff except mine said its just cancelled.  Not will be filled later.
    I should have been more clear. My money was refunded and the order was canceled.  The grilstuff site had posted that message on the Ozark Oak product information.

Med & XL