Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to the forum

I am new to this forum and pretty much new using my Big Green Egg.  I bought it (a large) a couple of months ago and due to rain and other activities I have only been able to cook on it twice so far.  I think my main problem is knowing the correct temperature to cook.  This is a picture of country style pork ribs and chicken breasts.  I had the Egg at 400 and turned every five to six minutes, direct heat.  The chicken was tender off the grill but it was kind of stringy and rubbery once reheated the next day.  So should I have cooked the chicken longer on each side but like at 375 or just leave it on longer at 400?  I am not sure if it was how I cooked it or how I reheated the meat.  Do you reheat your food in the oven or in the microwave?  It's just my wife and I so, yeah, the food lasted us a good five days.  I was a little overzealous with my second grilling.

Comments

• Cook chicken thighs instead of breast. There is no fat in a breast so they are very difficult to get perfect without brining or using other tricky methods to get them right. Thighs are much more flavorful, moist and easier to reheat. They are still much leaner than all-dark meat so you are adding a little fat but gaining a ton of flavor and flexibility. I'm assuming since you are cooking country ribs too that a little added fat in the yard bird won't kill you
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    The Cen-Tex Smoker  is right.  They just aren't as good as thighs!  Welcome to the group.
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    edited June 2013

Totally agree with CTS on the thighs. There is a reason why thighs are the #1 pick of competitors in BBQ competitions nationwide.  

I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • Thanks!  I never thought of cooking thighs.  Would I still cook them at 400?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I would suggest you get three split fire bricks and raise the hight of your cook. Much more forgiving raised. I am a fan of raised / direct / 400.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Welcome,  where you from? :D
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited June 2013
    Maybe Stillwater, Okla Chris. :-B All in fun Chris.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey said:
    Maybe Stillwater, Okla Chris. :-B All in fun Chris.
    Oh I thought it was a code name or somthing,  ;)
  • dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    I did not like chicken breast till I got my eggs(to dry and tough) Did breasts on the mini tonite and they were great.
    Did em at 350° CI Grate covered with foil (no woo yet) for about 10 mins on each side. pulled em off removed foil and let the mini go nuclear. seared each side at about 700° for 30 sec. They were tender and moist.
    But I will agree They sure don't beat thighs. But remember SWMBO 

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    I agree with @Mickey about raising your grid level. And, whether you eat the skin or not, I find the cooking breasts with the skin on and the bones in gives better results than boneless, skinless.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Welcome aboard.  Part of the fun with the Egg is experimenting to find that perfect way to cook whatever.  The test cooks might not be the best but they're still better than what you get from most grills.

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Welcome aboard and have fun.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Welcome,  where you from? :D
    Stillwater, Oklahoma but I guess you could interpret my name as an okay griller in Stillwater. 
    ;)  I love my Egg.  I just need to get out and cook more on it.  Thanks for the welcomes!
  • watergirlb
    watergirlb Posts: 21
    I am new to this forum and pretty much new using my Big Green Egg.  I bought it (a large) a couple of months ago and due to rain and other activities I have only been able to cook on it twice so far.  I think my main problem is knowing the correct temperature to cook.  This is a picture of country style pork ribs and chicken breasts.  I had the Egg at 400 and turned every five to six minutes, direct heat.  The chicken was tender off the grill but it was kind of stringy and rubbery once reheated the next day.  So should I have cooked the chicken longer on each side but like at 375 or just leave it on longer at 400?  I am not sure if it was how I cooked it or how I reheated the meat.  Do you reheat your food in the oven or in the microwave?  It's just my wife and I so, yeah, the food lasted us a good five days.  I was a little overzealous with my second grilling.
    Honestly I am relatively new too. I do my chicken breasts on @ 325, and I do not turn them until they are basically cooked maybe 20 min?  I can tell the doneness by the feel, breast is all my family will eat so I have TONS of practice at it.  When I cook them this way, even the reheated leftovers are juicy and delicious.  As far as cooking in the rain, I do it all the time, the best thing about the Egg is not opening the top, remember, If your lookin', you're not cookin'!  I have an old market umbrella in a patio table i have sitting right next to my LGE, I have cooked some fantastic beer brine chicken, pork butts, baby back ribs and all kinds of goodies even in the drenchiest downpours!
  • watergirlb
    watergirlb Posts: 21
    Honestly I am relatively new too. I do my chicken breasts on @ 325, and I do not turn them until they are basically cooked maybe 20 min?  I can tell the doneness by the feel, breast is all my family will eat so I have TONS of practice at it.  When I cook them this way, even the reheated leftovers are juicy and delicious.  As far as cooking in the rain, I do it all the time, the best thing about the Egg is not opening the top, remember, If your lookin', you're not cookin'!  I have an old market umbrella in a patio table i have sitting right next to my LGE, I have cooked some fantastic beer brine chicken, pork butts, baby back ribs and all kinds of goodies even in the drenchiest downpours!
    Oh yeah, I use a bit of olive oil to coat the breasts then use one of my homemade rubs to coat.

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    @watergirlb... sounds like you need to be starting some threads and sharing some of your cooks (i.e., pictures) with us. Welcome to both of you!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
  • If using breast meat just wrap in bacon, win win flavour and it retains moisture.
  • All good tips.  If your wife insists on breast meat (mine does), full breasts I don't cook beyond 160 internal temp.  Also, we cook the small Schwan's boneless, skinless chicken breast filets (they're maybe 3-4 oz. and no thicker than 3/4").  Those I will cook direct at 550 for 2 minutes per side. They get nice color but still juicy inside.  Good luck and we'll look forward to your future cooks!
  • I'm new to the forum and have had my LBGE for about a month now. I struggled at first with the temperatures until I realized the same rules apply pretty much as other cooking and grilling. My wife likes for me to cook the bone in chicken breasts and save the fat calories for ribs . I found if you cook them indirectly at 350 for about 40 minutes they're juicy and delicious with a crisp skin!
  • Welcome here, hope you enjoy the cult we got going here.  ;) I would like to throw my .02 in, invest in a thermapen.http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/ One thing that was brought to my attention was, "Cook to internal temp, not time." This has helped me doing a far better job of grilling. And maybe start a bit of a journal and record some of your cooks so you can tweak them as needed. Good Luck.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • shurt
    shurt Posts: 13

I'm cooking chicken tonight DIRECT for the first time.  I love this forum!  Without it,  I would not have known to raise my grill to the top with a couple bricks to get away from the flames / heat.  Yes, cooking tonight will be like going to prison ...... a little scared and excited all at the same time!  Wish me luck.

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. -  John Wayne
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Yes, cooking tonight will be like going to prison ...... a little scared and excited all at the same time
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Hey, StillwaterOKGriller, I'm in Stillwater too.  Did you get your Egg at Quality Water?  Nice to see another Egger in town.

• Welcome to the club...
    Columbia, SC ~ LBGE, ThermaPen
    I love to eat...sue me!
  • Welcome aboard and have with the rest of us eggers

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen