Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roast Beef Rub Ideas?

Options
trup0241
trup0241 Posts: 35
For all of you that make roast beef, how do you prepare it before before putting it on.

The last one I did was a rub of ground espresso, brown sugar, tien tsin peppers, and garlic.  Before and After pics attached.  It came out quite well and looking for inspiration for other other flavor combinations to attempt friday or saturday.  What is your favorite?
Pittsburgh, PA

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,333
    Options
    I keep it simple-let the beef speak.  Just rub with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.  May add rosemary on occasion.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    I like dizzy red eye express or tasty licks black barts when I make it for lunch meat otherwise like @lousubcap says
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I usually give them a good dousing of Worcestershire and ley that dry off in the fridge and then just garlic.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options

I like this one:

Beef, Prime Rib, Roast, Lobster, Richard Fl

INGREDIENTS:
    1 4 1/4 Lbs 2 Bone Prime Rib
    Seasoning:
    3 Tbs Kona Koffee Rub
    2 Tbs Chopped Garlic in Olive Oil
    1 Tbs Indian River Rainbow Pepper Blend
    1 Tbs Garlic Powder
    6-8 Tbs Kosher Salt
    2 Tbs Water
    Little Porcini Mushroom EVOO

PROCEDURE:

1. Cut the bones away from the roast and sprinkled some garlic powder between the meat and bones. Wrap with some twine to keep together. This allows for easier cutting of the roast after the cook. And I lke to save the bones for French onion soup, beef barley or mushroom soup.

2. Make a slurry of the seasonings and rub all over the roast like a thick paste.

3. Get BGE set up indirect and have at 450°F. I used a drip pan to catch the juices with some water and red wine added to keep a liquid for the drippings to gather in. If the pan is dry the drippings will burn and taint the flavor of the roast. Handful coffeewood for smoke flavor or some coffee grounds that have been used.

4. Placed the roast on grill with temperature at 450°F. Let cook for 30 minutes to allow the crust to form. Leaving the roast on reduce the temperature to 350°F and cook apprx 17 minutes per pound. Did this one for 1 hour 45 minutes. Pulled at 120°F and let rest in a tent for 45 minutes.

5. Served with baked potatoes and some mixed veggies. Was going to do Garlic toast, but forgot to turn the oven on until after the meal was over. Wonder if the pomegranate martinis had anything to do with that? Had 3 Oz lobster tails to go with this.

6. Used a cream cheese, mayo, horseradish sauce for the beef.

7. Slurry and cooking instructions were provided by Ross in Ventura. Thanks Ross.

Servings: 4

Recipe Type: Beef, Main Dish, Meat

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2010/03/31*
    Web Page: http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=897781&catid=1

• trup0241
    trup0241 Posts: 35
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Those all sound good.  I am planing on trying to make it for lunch meat.  I will definitely have to try what Richard Fl posted... that sounds amazing.

I am thinking I may do 2 or 3 of them, why not if I have the space right?
    Pittsburgh, PA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    John Henry's Mojave Garlic rub. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX