Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Some things matter. Some don't. This does.

travisstrick
travisstrick Posts: 5,002
edited June 2013 in Off Topic

June 6th, 1944. The day men became Lions of history. Never forget. 

My Grandfather is 96 years old and a WWII vet. He fought over the Pacific as a tail gunner in a dive bomber. He was shot down and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross twice for valor. (thats a huge deal. in ten years of service, I've never met an active duty guy with even one)
Chief Petty Officer Wilson McK Alexander sr, my grandfather, will be at my house today. My family is coming in town for my sons first birthday and I just realized he will arrive on the anniversary of D-Day. 

The bravery and sacrifice by that generation during our country's hour of need is what makes our all volunteer force possible today. The example set by these men will never be forgotten. 

imageimage
Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited June 2013
    Wow, what can I say...I honestly am tearing up a bit!

Enjoy your time with him and I certainly am appreciative for his service to our country. I definitely don't take my freedom for granted.

Thanks for posting!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    Griffin said:
    =D> Tell him Thank You from all of us.
    +1

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    @Travisstrick, God bless your grandfather. As someone else commented in a recent post, Tom Brokaw got it right! Anyone that hasn't already read it should buy this book today:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Travis that's amazing I bet your damn proud and rightfully so . Please tell him thank you
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Streetglider
    Streetglider Posts: 104
    Express my appreciation to your Granddaddy for his service and his sacrifice.

LBGE, Grill Extender, 5 burner Char-Broil gasser that hold my eggessories
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Tell him thanks for giving us our freedom that we have. A BIG THANK YOU SIR!!!!

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Great post! My dad turned 88 last week. 2 purple hearts from infantry service in the Pacific theater. Leyte and Okinawa. Only started talking about it in the past 10 years or so.

No just greatest generation-amazing generation.
    Mamaroneck
  • Of course it matters without all the men and women doing what they do past, present, and future, we wouldnt be here today as we are. Thank you to him and you. RESPECT. 
  • Ricky B
    Ricky B Posts: 28

God bless your Grandfather for his service and devotion to our nation.  They truly are the Greatest generation and are, sadly,  slowly disapearing.  Will we ever see a generation so dedicated and unselfish? I don't know but, I pray we will, soon. It's up to us to see that the current and future generations never forget them and understand what it was they fought and sacrficed their lives for.

Thanks to all of them.

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Thumbs up to both of you! Thanks...
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few." - Winston Churchill August 20, 1940 - in a speech about those that fought in The Battle of Britain. It applies to all that served in WWII, don't you think? Remember D-Day and thank a veteran today no matter when they served. God bless your Grandpa!
    Flint, Michigan
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Enjoy him while you can. I just lost a dear friend last Sunday that worked on an Army transport ship in The Big One (as he called it) he was 95. God bless our troops.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    Praise God for men like him!
  • Foghorn said:
    Griffin said:
    =D> Tell him Thank You from all of us.
    +1
    +2

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Men like your Grandfather is what this the great country that it is. Many thanks.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506

He was a bad ass then and still looks like a bad ass now. Judging from the picture, I think he could take you.

Make sure you cook him whatever he wants.

Thank you both for what you have done for our great country!

• Travis' other grandfather piloted a glider at night into France on D-day.  Like the scene from Saving Private Ryan the brass he was carrying were badly hurt in a hard landing. Razzie Strickland said the officer passengers were a bit soft and is why they did not fare well. My  late father was an Army Master Sergeant at age 19 and went on to become a pilot in the Strategic Air Command.  

Wilson Alexander is one of the finest men I know. He taught me volumes about what it means to be a man...
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Thank him for us Travis, my dad served in WW II, I wish he was still here so I could tell him
    I'll be honored to have your grandfather stand in for all those who have gone

LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Well said sir.  God bless our troops, past, present, and future.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    All the best to your Grandfather, D-Day, another time when the two most friendly nations on the planet stood side by side. Of the 160,000 plus soldiers that hit the beaches almost 1/2 were Americans and over 25,000 were Canadians. We owe life as we know it to those who serve, thank just doesn't seem adequate. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255

Your grandfather and many men like him raised the bar of 'Hero' to new heights on a daily basis.  And to a man, they accepted their duty and their fate willingly knowing that it was not a war to lose. 

As lives change men, so do men change lives.  We are all a product of their commitment to make our lives better.

I salute you and your fellow Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, Airmen and Patriots Sir.

In your debt...

Spring "Pre-War Baby" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002

He was a bad ass then and still looks like a bad ass now. Judging from the picture, I think he could take you.

He was also the welterweight boxing champion of the PACIFIC FLEET. THE WHOLE DAMN FLEET.

it wasn't fun when he got mad. Even into his late 70's
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • otter
    otter Posts: 342
    Salute!!!
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • CharlieTN
    CharlieTN Posts: 177
    Blood, sweat, and sacrifice has kept this country free.  Thank you to him and you both for your willingness and faithfulness to serve.  We all owe such a debt of gratitude.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136

He was also the welterweight boxing champion of the PACIFIC FLEET. THE WHOLE DAMN FLEET. it wasn't fun when he got mad. Even into his late 70's
    The stories you hear form him must be unreal!

@buddyclaude  Great first post man!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731

Wishing your grandfather good health and happiness. It's great of you to honor him on this day. Now quit putzing around on here and make sure you egg him a grand meal when he arrives!!

Maybe show him this thread... he should know that many appreciate him and his peers.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    Your grandfather is part of this country's greatest generation. The men of that generation (my father included) were brave, humble, hard working, self reliant, and tough. Please thank your grandfather for the sacrifices that he made to help keep this country free. Thanks for telling us part of his story.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited June 2013
    Cherish the time you have with him. The family' last two WWII vets died in 2012. The subsequent generations have done a poor job filling that generations shoes
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501

Thanks to all that served .

The stories my FIL tells give me goose bumps. He was in the first wave in at Omaha Beach.

God Bless

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI