Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hello and guideline ?

Options
Hello everyone. My Large BGE arrives today and can't wait to get started. I've been devouring this site to try to prepare for my first cook. Thanks for all the help.

I remember reading a post that included general guidelines for vent settings.... bottom vent at 1" and top vent at 1/2 petal = X temperature. The poster had those guidelines for a couple of temperatures. I can't find that post again. Can anyone point me to it. Thanks

Steve

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Welcome Steve!  Whatcha cooking the first time out?  Take pix and post them!  We would all love to see them!
    Flint, Michigan
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Welcome aboard Steve. You'll remember this day for the rest of your life  :)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Thanks Smokey. That's a different post than the one I was looking for but it's much better. Printing it out now and will keep it close at hand while The Egg and I get to know each other.

Fred, After reading all about the great things you guys cook, I'm a bit embarrassed to say that my first cook will be some boneless chicken breasts. Based on what I've learned here I'm planning to cook them direct at 350 to an internal temp of 155, then pull and wrap to get them to 160. I'm looking forward to doing a spatchcocked chicken soon and I plan to wow the family with a couple of rib eyes for Father's day.

Thanks for the welcome Texan. I just hope I remember it for the cook and not for burning the house down!

_______________________________________________________________________________
    Large BGE, PSWoo3, 13"CI grid, Grid Extender, Weber Genesis B Gasser/BGE Storage Cabinet
  • BrotherEgg
    BrotherEgg Posts: 95
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to mention that I have the chicken beasts marinating in a brine at your advice.

Large BGE, PSWoo3, 13"CI grid, Grid Extender, Weber Genesis B Gasser/BGE Storage Cabinet
  • CharlieTN
    CharlieTN Posts: 177
    Options
    Welcome aboard.  Now let the adventure begin.  

Nothing wrong with your first choice.  I did a basic pork loin, then ribeyes, then spatchcock chicken, then 19 hour low and slow on 17lbs of butts, then pizza, then ... then...

Seems like each cook inspires another.  :-)
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    Welcome , if you can I would raise the cooking grate (raise direct).Otherwise it sounds as though you got it !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Just my $.02...but I would just go ahead and take the chicken to 160.  You are not gonna get much carry over with a breast and since they are brined they should be plenty moist.  I'm sure they will be great. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• BrotherEgg
    Options
    Cal,
    I've read about raising the grid. I'm not sure how that's done. Since I don't have the Egg yet, I can't tell if its something that's built or something I have to modify. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks Smokey. I'll probably go that way to keep it simple.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    You can accomplish the same thing (as raising the grid) by using very little lump.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    Welcome, enjoy the ride
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • dpittard
    dpittard Posts: 126
    Options
    Only guideline you'll need is to be sure to keep an adult beverage near the Egg at all times. :)

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Cal,
    I've read about raising the grid. I'm not sure how that's done. Since I don't have the Egg yet, I can't tell if its something that's built or something I have to modify. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks Smokey. I'll probably go that way to keep it simple.
    Look at the pics on this post for one way to raise your grid
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Thanks Steven & Texan. I think I have a few fire bricks around here some place.  I'll probably just use the lower lump method for the small cook that I'm planning.

• calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    edited June 2013
    Options
    It is something you modify, bricks , empty beer cans , just something to get your grid above the felt line (gasket). Later you can look into an Adjustable Rig to accomplish this , that is if you want to accessorize your egg. Good Luck ,it will turn out either way you go !

Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    dpittard said:
    Only guideline you'll need is to be sure to keep an adult beverage near the Egg at all times. :)

This is the most important step of egging - the cook must be well-marinated.

Welcome!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BrotherEgg
    Options
    caliking said:
    dpittard said:

This is the most important step of egging - the cook must be well-marinated.

Welcome!

Yes, In fact I've been known to to take the majority of my calories in liquid form. I have a feeling I'll have to adjust that as soon as I get my hands on the Egg.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Sounds like this guy is gonna fit right in

Steve 

Caledon, ON