Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Small Egg Weekend Getaway

R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,330
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
We rented a cabin just outside Lassen Volcanic National Park for a short getaway with my in-laws (6 adults and two dogs total). The cabin had a crappy gasser available for use but that wasn't going to cut it so the Small Egg joined us for the trip.

Our first dinner started with getting the Egg stabilized at 350 with potatoes sitting on the CI grid: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

About 25 minutes later I lifted the CI grid, dropped in a chunk of red oak, put in the Small Woo, flipped the taters, and put in the porcelain coated grid: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

With the "potato setter" in place, it was time to add some tri-tip: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

The dome temp dropped down to about 275 with all of the meat & potatoes inside but I left the Egg alone as I figured the potatoes would still get a higher direct heat and the tri-tip would be fine mostly indirect. Pulled the tri-tip to rest at 115ish and the potatoes were done & set aside. Opened up the draft door and removed the DFMT and heated the Small up over 500 for a quick sear on the tri-tip (sorry for the blurry pic - shot from the hip with one hand while flipping the tri-tip with my other hand): Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

My plate (we forgot to pack fixings for the potatoes so butter was our only choice): Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

We finished one tri-tip for dinner & sliced the other for sammies for lunch the next day. Dinner that night was Atlantic salmon for all but me (food allergy) & chicken for me. I picked out the largest chicken I could find at the grocery store (almost 6 1/2 lbs) so we could have leftover chicken for sandwiches for our trip home the next day. Spatched chicken raised direct on the Woo: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Followed by salmon (had cut them into 7 pieces & cooked in two batches): Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

It was great having the Small on this trip. I'm looking forward to future trips with it and/or the Mini. Here's a few more pics from the trip: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

On the way home we stopped by a small lake Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

and while at the lake we ran into a couple of friendly fishermen who were there enjoying retirement but they had caught their daily limit. They asked if we would like some trout so they could keep fishing and we couldn't refuse. They even cleaned the fish for us as we had a few hours drive ahead of us: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

My mother-in-law gave me and the Small the night off and she prepped the trout & chinese broccoli for steaming in the convection steamer: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Thanks for looking!
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
Bay Area, CA

Comments