Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Egg Weekend Getaway

Options
R2Egg2Q
R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
We rented a cabin just outside Lassen Volcanic National Park for a short getaway with my in-laws (6 adults and two dogs total). The cabin had a crappy gasser available for use but that wasn't going to cut it so the Small Egg joined us for the trip.

Our first dinner started with getting the Egg stabilized at 350 with potatoes sitting on the CI grid: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

About 25 minutes later I lifted the CI grid, dropped in a chunk of red oak, put in the Small Woo, flipped the taters, and put in the porcelain coated grid: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

With the "potato setter" in place, it was time to add some tri-tip: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

The dome temp dropped down to about 275 with all of the meat & potatoes inside but I left the Egg alone as I figured the potatoes would still get a higher direct heat and the tri-tip would be fine mostly indirect. Pulled the tri-tip to rest at 115ish and the potatoes were done & set aside. Opened up the draft door and removed the DFMT and heated the Small up over 500 for a quick sear on the tri-tip (sorry for the blurry pic - shot from the hip with one hand while flipping the tri-tip with my other hand): Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

My plate (we forgot to pack fixings for the potatoes so butter was our only choice): Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

We finished one tri-tip for dinner & sliced the other for sammies for lunch the next day. Dinner that night was Atlantic salmon for all but me (food allergy) & chicken for me. I picked out the largest chicken I could find at the grocery store (almost 6 1/2 lbs) so we could have leftover chicken for sandwiches for our trip home the next day. Spatched chicken raised direct on the Woo: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Followed by salmon (had cut them into 7 pieces & cooked in two batches): Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

It was great having the Small on this trip. I'm looking forward to future trips with it and/or the Mini. Here's a few more pics from the trip: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

On the way home we stopped by a small lake Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

and while at the lake we ran into a couple of friendly fishermen who were there enjoying retirement but they had caught their daily limit. They asked if we would like some trout so they could keep fishing and we couldn't refuse. They even cleaned the fish for us as we had a few hours drive ahead of us: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

My mother-in-law gave me and the Small the night off and she prepped the trout & chinese broccoli for steaming in the convection steamer: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Thanks for looking!
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Options
    Man that is awesome.  This is exactly why I am hoping for a Small for Father's Day.  Did you cook the fish?  Pictures of food and earth are beautiful!
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Options
    Sorry...missed the part about the small having the night off for the fish :)
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Sounds like a fantastic trip with the small :). My fav pics are the one of the flame leaping out to kiss the tri-tip and the one of the egg guarding the cabin.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    I missed the part where you explained exactly why you came back home! Looks like a beautiful spot.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Man, that is some awesome looking food! Great cooks and what a weekend getaway.

Beautiful pics, as always.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    Beautiful, looks like a great time with great food. Now I need a small
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    That looks awesome, my small is going to the Ozarks for a week on the lake next month and can't wait.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

Freaking great trip. Hard to beat trout fishing.

The mini is going to beach with me for 2 weeks starting next weekend. Planning a menu now. Probably just use it for nightly apps and breakfast, with an experimental butt one day.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Furall
    Furall Posts: 124
    Options

That looks awesome, my small is going to the Ozarks for a week on the lake next month and can't wait.

Which lake you heading too?
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    @Furall Pretty sure it's the actual Lake of the Ozarks, the place we are staying is just outside of Camdenton and not far from Osage Beach. We went to Table Rock a couple of years ago and had a blast.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Furall
    Furall Posts: 124
    Options
    Ahh I live in the ozark national forest is why I asked. I have a coworker who drags his boat up to LOTO at least twice a month. Have fun and happy egging!!
  • freddyj
    freddyj Posts: 129
    Options
    Awesome tale and pics. I really want and need a small egg.
    Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Fantastic trip. So how did the small egg move. I see he was still in the nest.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Small BGE for the win!
    Gittin' there...
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    I missed the part where you explained exactly why you came back home! Looks like a beautiful spot.
    I would have liked to have stayed a little longer but a couple of nights stay there cost as much as a Mini!
    Aviator said:
    Fantastic trip. So how did the small egg move. I see he was still in the nest.

The gravel & rocks were too much for the nest to roll. If I was smart I would have drove the van & Egg down to the cooking area (near a fire pit). Instead I emptied the Egg & lugged it back & forth.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Jamieoro
    Jamieoro Posts: 180
    Options
    How do I get an invite to the next trip? Looks amazing. Way to work your small! I want one now.
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    Great pics! Want to take my small to the Keys this summer.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Beautiful pics of the food and the outdoors!  That's why I got my small...wish I had more opportunities to see great places like this. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Awesome! Love the small for camping.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    Boy, that looked like it sucked   :-O
    Great food, great location, probably no cell service....
    Sorry you had to endure it...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Awesome post! Traveling with my small egg is almost more fun than cooking at home. I love the "potato setter" That is one of the few National Parks I still need to visit. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the compliments!
    Solson005 said:

Awesome post! Traveling with my small egg is almost more fun than cooking at home. I love the "potato setter" That is one of the few National Parks I still need to visit. 

I really enjoy traveling with Eggs so I agree with your statement. Someday I hope I can take one or more of them out as often as you do. Good times!

Bay Area, CA
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Hey when you guys travel with the nest for the small do you take it apart and reassemble at your destination? I'd like to get a EggCarten but money is a little tight right now.
  • onesaxplayer
    Options
    Nice!  Love the potato setter!
    When you get to a fork in the road, pick it up, spear something with it and throw it on the grill!!!
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited June 2013
    Options
    @Scottborasjr I don't take mine apart. However I did loose the nut that held it together so I would take a crescent wrench and make sure its tight before you put the egg back on it.

I get my big test in a couple of weeks, I'm spending a few days in Missouri along the river. We are having a family reunion and I wish I could bring my large because we are expecting over 50 people but its looking like just the small will make the trip. Sound be fun however the meals get made!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • thebaron
    thebaron Posts: 23
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Really impressive meal considering the size of the grill area AND you made enough for your lunch the next day!

To secure your egg while traveling, what's your technique? Do you have any pics of that? Curious if you're using blankets and tie straps, or whatever. 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Cool. Great looking food, picturesque cabing and beautiful scenery. What more could you ask for?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Great post for so many different reasons.  Thanks for sharing
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options

Hey when you guys travel with the nest for the small do you take it apart and reassemble at your destination? I'd like to get a EggCarten but money is a little tight right now.

I don't take the nest apart. I just remove the Egg and secure Egg & nest separately.

thebaron said:

Really impressive meal considering the size of the grill area AND you made enough for your lunch the next day!

To secure your egg while traveling, what's your technique? Do you have any pics of that? Curious if you're using blankets and tie straps, or whatever. 

For this trip, we had a rental van and I put the Egg into a sturdy box on top of a piece of wood, put the Egg & box against the wall of the van on one side, the back of a bench seat on another side, our heavy duffel bags on another side and a dog crate on the fourth side. Sorry, I didn't take a pic. When I use my car, the Egg goes in a passenger seat and gets strapped in by the seat belt and a motorcycle tie strap.

Bay Area, CA
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I think in all time I've been here on this forum, this has to be my absolute favorite posting.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.