Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ottawa or NCR (Canada) Eggers

Options

I know that there are few folks in the National Capital Region on this forus and would like some resommendations.

Where do you usually buy your meat at?

Where do you buy or best place to buy your charcoal?

Where can I buy some wood block (any flavors) for smoking?

Thanks.

Cheers!

Comments

• Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    Options
    The butchery in bells corners used to have every cut known to ma, I used to get wood at Costco in Nepean, and for woods I was a loss
    HFX NS
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Options
    I usually get my charcoal at Canadian tire(royal oak) or home depot (maple leaf). You can get wood blocks from tsc.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    You can get Royal Oak at Canadian Tire (as the newf said) or Maple Leaf at Home Hardware or Rona. Costco sells Basques, Natures Own sometimes at a good price

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Tixunau
    Tixunau Posts: 71
    Options

I got 5 bags of Natures at Costco a few weeks back and now I am down to 2 bags. Can't go wrong with the price but I find that there is a lot of small pieces compared to my original BGR brand bag. Hopefully one Costco still have some for me to stock up. If not, I'll go go to CT.

@canegger What stand for 'tsc'?

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Options
    @Tixunau its tractor supply company. There is one in kemptville
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Tixunau said:

I got 5 bags of Natures at Costco a few weeks back and now I am down to 2 bags. Can't go wrong with the price but I find that there is a lot of small pieces compared to my original BGR brand bag. Hopefully one Costco still have some for me to stock up. If not, I'll go go to CT.

@canegger What stand for 'tsc'?

I picked up 3 bags of Nature's at Costco last Saturday. So far, I'm very happy with the first bag. On the other hand, I bought a bag of ML at Home Hardware recently and it was all little pieces; very disappointed.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    It's a line of country hardware stores. I have one near me.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Tixunau said:

I know that there are few folks in the National Capital Region on this forus and would like some resommendations.

Where do you usually buy your meat at?

Where do you buy or best place to buy your charcoal?

Where can I buy some wood block (any flavors) for smoking?

Thanks.

Cheers!

Ontario Gas BBQ has a tremendous variety of wood and chips. They do online business.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Capital Appliance & BBQ (www.bbqing.com) has a good selection of wood chunks (blocks).  They also sell charcoal but you will pay boutique prices... I get my charcoal from Costco (Basques Nature's own) for 12.99$ the 8kg bag (17.6 lbs) in Gatineau, not sure how much you paid in Ottawa.  Maple Leaf (best) is available from Home Hardware, BMR, Rona and maybe others but it is 18.99$ per 8kg bag or 9.99$ per 4kg bag.  When my winter stash is depleted, I get Royal Oak from Canadian Tire.  

I get my beef (tenderloin), pork back ribs and pork loin from Costco.  Chicken, porterhouse steaks and pork shoulders are purchased from a local butcher.

where are you located?

Options
    I'm from the area too, fairly central so I tend to go to the local butcher (Saslove's or Costco).

For charcoal I've stayed with Basque's Nature's Own from Costco and Royal Oak from CT.

A good source for BGE stuff and wood chunks and planks is the Fireplace Center just west of Canadian Tire on Carling. Look to talk to a guy named Jordan, he's a genuine egghead.
  • Ottawa_Eggman
    Ottawa_Eggman Posts: 111
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Yup like other have said 
    Orleans = http://www.romanticfireplaces.com/  Dragon Breath a little pricey but saves me a trip to west end
    Ottawa  = Capital Appliance & BBQ  http://www.bbqing.com  great place a few different brands of lump and loads of eggccesories, rubs, sauces etc and I think the only place in Ottawa to get Dizzy Pig 

Meat = Costco,Russell slauter house,Lavergne Butcher Shop in Navan,

• Tixunau
    Tixunau Posts: 71
    Options

Thanks everyone! Seems like meat and charcoal at Costco is a good place to go. I'll drop by today and see if there are more bags of Natures and stock up a little.

Bought the BGE at Fireplace (near St-laurent) and really like their service. I often go to the one in Carling to browse and see what they have but also to Capital when I get a chance. I was just wondering if there was other option in the area.

Currently for me, my go to are: 

Charcoal: Nature's Own @ Costco
    Wood chips or chink: Capital or Fireplace
    Meat: Costco / T&T 3 Farm Boys

@paqman I live in the south end past the airport.