Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Do the pop up canopies hold the smoke?

I am about to buy a 12 X 12 pop up canopy to stay out of the sun and rain while grilling. I read in another post that the canopy held the smoke. If you use a pop up canopy, please tell me how well it is working for you. Thanks.

• So it turned out sideways.... But initially it does when it's coming to temp, if there is any breeze it is swept away. I kinda like seeing it swirling around, the beard soaks up a lot of smoke.
    image.jpg 1.2M
    image.jpg 2.8M
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,971
    I have been to several egg fests over the last 7 years and and never noticed any smoke holding issues!  Usually there is a slight breeze.
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,868
    Nope but it may poke your eye out. image
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 7,267
    Is that recent? Hope you have or will recover
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,868
    It's old but it was a broken pop up canopy that dern near put my eye out. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • On most canopies, the lower edge of the canopy is above your head, so if smoke did accumulate, it is still above your head.  Some of the more expensive canopies have a top vent built in--this would eliminate any issue with smoke accumulating.

• YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,868
    This weekend I bought a Coleman 10x10 pop up canopy from Bass Pro.  It also has a vent at the top of the canopy.  I keep the Egg on the down wind side of the canopy and operate it.  I did an overnight low and slow for 16 hours this weekend, the entire time under the canopy and never had an issue.
    XL and a Mini Max Egg in Cincinnati, Ohio
  • SpaightlabsSpaightlabs Posts: 829
    Looks like a red Ryder accident to me. You'd look good as a pirate. Aaaaaaarrrrrrrr.
    Centennial, CO
    Unless I'm hunting, then Lord knows where.
  • TurtleCreekTurtleCreek Posts: 140
    The main concern I would have is don't let too much rain accumulate on the canopy.  It will crush if you don't lighten the load from time to time in steady rains.  That would be my only concern.  If you are only concerned with smoke accumulation you could set two of the legs up on blocks/bricks to give one side more elevation to create a bit of a better escape point. 
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,954
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN