Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Small homemade Tandoor - Ist Trial

AviatorAviator Posts: 1,519

So I did a lot of reading and collaboration with @Caliking, who is the resident Tandoor guru and arrived here.

Its a terracotta pot from Lowes, 12.5" dia that will fit inverted into a Small BGE. I used an angle grinder with metal disks to cut open the bottom of the pot, which became the top of the tandoor. A clay plate became the daisy wheel, to get it hot, and boy it did.

Now, the pot sits on the fire ring, with no chance of getting dislodged.

Worked very well, but did crack the clay pot. May be if I had "seasoned" it with lower temps before I got it HOT might have worked.

Made chicken boti kabaobs. Made about 3 lbs of it, never made it into the kitchen. Got eaten as finger food.

Here is the set up:

Inside, set up a small pot so the big tandoor skewers can rest + it will not char the meat directly above.

Here is the fire up shot

Inside view, You can see the crack, but worked fine.

This is the finished product. Sorry, no fine plated shots, was a tad messy as this was still in the test kitchen stage. Tasted so darn good.

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·

Comments

• Mama RoneckMama Roneck Posts: 353
    Awesome!
    Mamaroneck
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,075
    Very nice! When are you gonna stick your arm in there and make some bread??

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,519
    edited June 2013
    Very nice! When are you gonna stick your arm in there and make some bread??
    He he, haven't hit the pineapple crown sauce yet. Waitin on @egret.
    :))

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,607
    Now that is freakin' sweet! I have been thinking of something similar to try and get naans done vertically in the tandoor. Your results are super.

When I made my tandoor I cut the pot a little differently. I don't know how to explain this but here goes - with the pot turned upside down i.e. open end on the floor, I cut with the plane of the angle grinder's blade parallel to the floor, maybe 1.5" down from the top (actually the bottom of the pot). 

Also, I cut off the the thick rim of the pot. The thicker parts of the pot (at the rim and bottom) likely face greater heat stress and contract differently than the thinnner walls of the pot.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,782

Nice job!  few years back I did something similiar and found that one of my pots holding the skewers cracked also--this pot was custom made and fired at 2250F  go figure, anyway just wrapped some wire around in in 3 places and continued to cook.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=721499&catid=1

·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,519

Nice job!  few years back I did something similiar and found that one of my pots holding the skewers cracked also--this pot was custom made and fired at 2250F  go figure, anyway just wrapped some wire around in in 3 places and continued to cook.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=721499&catid=1

Yes, @Richard fl, those were inspirational. Thanks.

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,607
    Sorry, had to attend to something so couldn't finish the earlier response.

Your chicken looks terrific. What went into the marinade? And the idea of the pot in the coals is genius - I worried about damaging the ceramic of the base with the sharp ends of the skewers.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • This is awesome. Centex will steal this.

·
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 4,492
    edited June 2013
    Nice! How did I miss this post earlier! Now I wish I didn't sell my Small few weeks ago, have to buy a large pot with 18" rim to fit my Large.
    canuckland
    ·