Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The official(?) "How To Use The BGE Grid Extender" thread

caliking
caliking Posts: 18,727
I'm trying to use my powers for good now.

Can folks who purchased a BGE Grid Extender through the group buy (or otherwise) post their tips and questions here? The aim is to have one consolidated thread for folks to reference now and in the future (if the search function ever works properly). Pics would be great. 

There have been some threads recently about which grid to buy. Seems like the recommendation is to buy the grid for one size smaller egg and use it as the top grid i.e. for an XL, buy the grid for a large and bolt it on as the top (swinging) grid. For the LBGE, buy a medium grid, and so on. Weber charcoal grids can possibly be used in lieu of BGE grids - they are not stainless steel, but a good deal cheaper than BGE grids. The Weber cooking grids will bow somewhat if used as the top grid with the extender.

If there is already a thread going with the same intent, then we should post there, in order to keep as much info in one thread as possible. 

Some extenders have already been delivered, so the cooks should start soon. I imagine that a fair number will be done this weekend. Please post pics of your experience with the BGE Grid Extender. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    Is it too late to get into the group buy?  I'm assuming so, but had to ask.

Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

• caliking

• CharlieTN
    CharlieTN Posts: 177

Received mine today and have it mounted up.  Only took a couple of minutes.  I'll get some pics when it's lighter out.  Was mounting it right at dusk and didn't want the deck light attracting all of the mosquitos.

One little trick I notice:  First mounted it up and the upper grate leaned considerably.  Noticed that if I tweaked the placement ever so slightly on both the upper and lower grates that everything lined up nicely.  So - tinker with the placement and you'll get it just right. 

I have the LBGE and was using the standard SS grate for the lower with a Weber charcoal grate (roughly 17") for the upper and it fits nicely up into the dome when sat on top of the PS with the feet up.  Could not use the space for that setup but really don't think I'll need it that much.  There's lots of room between the racks.  I'm excited to try it out during the upcoming weekend.

• caliking
    Cool. I was wondering how it would fit with a PS in place (I don't have one). Would love to see pics of how you positioned your extender when attaching to the grates.

I did a dry run and thought that it leaned quite a bit with the Weber cooking grid. Was better with a Weber charcoal grate from a 22.5" kettle grill. Least amount of lean was noted with a cast iron lower grate ($20 Char-Broil from Academy) and ss upper grate. 

Check out @dawsonhull 's thread today about his wing cook. looks great. 

• dawsonhull
    dawsonhull Posts: 105
    I was studying the pictures of the original thread to try to mimic the placement. It's very sturdy and doesn't lean much at all even when you apply pressure. I did have some trouble cooking around the bracket but I'll get used to it.
  • CharlieTN

Cali, I'll get some pics up.  It'll likely be this weekend, crazy week this week.

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    edited June 2013
    mine came today i mounted it hand tight to my CI and SS grids and loaded it with some weight just a tad over 16 pounds has just a little sag but keep in mind it's only hand tight and not even properly aligned .once tighten and aligned it should be even less . i think we will all be very happy with this product .Thanks again to
    Eggcelsior and @MrCookingNurse for all your work and putting this together no small task for the size of this buy 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • caliking
    @bigphil : is that the ss grid for the LBGE on top? Did the lid close ok? It looks like you have the platesetter in. If the lid closes using the large ss grid, then I will probabl;y return the medium ss grid that I bought. 

That's impressive that you loaded with 16lbs and it held up. 

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    I'm interested to see if anyone else is going to use it with a pswoo. That would put the lower grid at the felt line, which might impact the upper grid size. Also, in general, are folks going to leave it on their basic set up (with or without the upper deck) or use it as a secondary accessory?  

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• bigphil
    @caliking yes its the LBGE SS grid with the PS and no it does not close but i think maybe a 17inch may it was fairly close to closing with the 18inch grid lowes and home depot are close enough to me i'm going to try a 17inch one if it works or not i'll post the results lter tonight or tomorrow 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • CharlieTN
    bigphil said:
    @caliking yes its the LBGE SS grid with the PS and no it does not close but i think maybe a 17inch may it was fairly close to closing with the 18inch grid lowes and home depot are close enough to me i'm going to try a 17inch one if it works or not i'll post the results lter tonight or tomorrow 
    I'm using the 17" weber "Charcoal Grate" and it fits great with the PS legs up.  
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    This thread is boring, I expect much more from you @caliking!!   
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Well that's easy... @caliking - what kind of lump will you be using with this? Are there any brands you will be steering clear of and if so, why? :D
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600

Hey Gang,

I have a XL and was wondering how big I should go on the second grill so I can get the lid closed.

Thanks in advance.

Chuck

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • bigphil
    @Eggcelsior so the way i have it temporally mounted and the way you showed it in the group buy thread isn't the best way to mount it . the grids should be turned 180 degrees correct ?
  • bigphil

Hey Gang,

I have a XL and was wondering how big I should go on the second grill so I can get the lid closed.

Thanks in advance.

Chuck

18 inch grid will work and close although am going to try a 20 inch and see how that works 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Who will first post a pic.... woo,ps grids and extender. Thanks in advance!
    Seattle, WA
  • SmoothSmoke
    SmoothSmoke Posts: 141
    bigphil

Which 20" grate are you going to use? 
  • bigphil
    BGE makes one for the XL for use with there extender .wont be able to pick it up till the weekend tho 
  • SmoothSmoke
    SmoothSmoke Posts: 141
    Cool thanks!  I know that Weber makes one that is just shy of 21".  It's for the WSM 22", the lower cooking grate.  I was thinking of using that, but not sure the mechanism will hold the weight. 
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600

Hey bigphil,

Please let me know how the 20 inch works.

Thanks

Chuck

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • bigphil
    @caliking Went to home depot and lowes both only had the weber charcoal grate that measures just shy of 17 inches so i picked that up . few things for one its steel so likely hood of it rusting is high on the other side of the coin its much stronger . same weight just over 16 pounds and less flexing than the factory grid it also allows the dome to close .But using the supplied  spacer it hits the dome and doesn't allow a tight seal .

@Grillmagic hopefully this weekend i can make it my dealer 
  • caliking
    @cazzy : did you not read the opening sentence of this thread? :) I'm a reasonable sort when my knickers are unbundled!

@Spaightlabs: just for that, i sentence you to read all 11 pages of that thread again :D Currently using Central Market brand lump - first bag was hard to light, but second bag bought on the same day is quite good.

Back on-topic:
    @Eggcelsior : thanks for that info. It really helps. It seems there is an optimal position for the grate extender placement to minimize leaning.

@bigphil: you're right - the Weber charcoal grate will rust. The medium BGE ss grid is a bit smaller than the Weber charcoal grate for the 22.5" kettle, so that may be the best to use with the grate extender and a platesetter. 

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    edited June 2013
    Received mine today. If its like most other things, it will take me weeks to get around to installing it.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • Eggcelsior and @MrCookingNurse

I received mine today - I'll be picking up a medium grid and installing it this weekend. Thank you for all your help on this!!
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    I have had an extender for five plus years .... Listen to Beaker he has got it figured out. Reminder. When pie is on top rake cooking and bottom grate empty swing out carefully to avoid tip over effect....VOE (almost served pie ala concrete)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • zosobao5150
    zosobao5150 Posts: 133
    Also received mine yesterday.  The extender sleeve doesn't really extend all that much...maybe 1/2" or so?  I am wondering if that was the maximum length that it could be extended without introducing stability issues or if I could get a piece or copper, or some type of clamp to have a higher height?
    XL BGE
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I haven't cooked with mine yet, but have made a few different configurations. Personally I don't see the need to go higher than the spacer allows, a good sized butt will fit, not a butt like @caliking did, but 7-8 lbs should be perfect.

XLBGE 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    I set it up last night and used it (allegedly, since the egg went nuclear for the 1st time and pushed dinner back, so we just ate and I got no pics). The photo below is all set up, and eventually I did burgers on the top and asparagus on the lower. Toasted the rolls on the top after pulling the burgers, while the asparagus finished.

Tonight I'll use the top for salmon, raised direct around 350, with some alder chips, not sure if the bottom will get used.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD